Chapter Thirty-Three

I get my shares in the hospital back the day after we land back in Banff. Thomas insisting I sign the papers to get them back. He gets me my office back and I get my board member privileges back, which means I get the main holidays off. They don't even let me offer to be on call. I don't fight them too hard though.

"Why do you look so nervous Princess?" Thomas asks as I put on my Christmas jumper.

"It's my first proper Christmas since I was eleven." I tell him.

"And they still feel guilty about last year. You're the one in charge." He says, wrapping his arms around me to kiss my cheek. "Either way, we have good presents for them." He whispers, making me blush.

"Thomas." I whisper, kissing him happily. "They'll be here any second."

"I know." He says, kissing my neck. "And I'm spending every second until then, holding my gorgeous wife." He says, making me smile and groan happily.

"I love you." I whisper.

"I love you more." He says, and I don't even get the chance to fight him as there is a knock at our door. Thomas and I go to answer, and I elbow him playfully, making him laugh before we are engulfed by Betty's arms. David following with a bag of gifts.

"Welcome." I smile, stepping back to let them in and so Thomas can close the door, keeping the cold air out.

"Gosh, I love what you've done with the house." Betty says, making me smile and show then to the living room where the tree is. David puts their bag down and I take their coats.

"Well, we've got the guest room ready for you if you don't want to leave." I smile.

"I just might take you up on that." She says.

"Food will be another hour." Thomas says. "I can get snacks though, put a film on in the theatre." He suggests.

"If it's okay with you two, I'd like to do gifts first, then food and then cosy things like that. I don't handle the suspense well." Betty says.

"Oh. I'm the same." I tell her. "It's fine with me." I say, looking to the men who nod, and we all sit down, Betty kneeling by the tree. Thomas kissing my cheek as he sits with me, giving me the sign he's ready. I'm just glad we gave our presents to each other yesterday like Betty and David did, to help the suspense ease.

"Well, I'll be Santa and give the prezzies out." She smiles, starting with Thomas, giving him a Swiss knife that has his name engraved on the side. Next, she gives Daniel his gift, a special architect's ruler that he adores.

"Now one for yourself." I say, as she reaches into the bag they brought, seemingly getting out a gift for me. She smiles and reaches over, getting my gift out from under the tree. "Oh. That's for both of you." I say, making her get up and sit on the sofa next to David.

"That's cute." David says, wrapping his arm around Betty.

"Right." She says, ripping the wrapping paper. Thomas holds me closer, and I smile as Betty tears up.

"That is so beautiful." She says, opening the box to set up the bracelets. I smile and as she gets a bit distracted, I slide off of the chair and I pull out a gift for Thomas, from his dad. I watch from the floor as Thomas opens the box and gets up to hug his dad.

"It was my grandads." He explains, showing me the watch in the box.

"Awe, that's beautiful." I smile. I give David Thomas's gift for him, and I watch as Betty sends the first hearts to David's bracelet, making him beam.

"Thank you, so much." He says, making me blush as he takes his next gift. We go round one more time, then Betty insists on collecting all of the paper, putting the paper wrapping into the bag we brought.