Nothing's New

"This is a horrible idea, we shouldn't even be here right now!" I whisper shouted at Hawks, staring over the edge of the tallest building in Japan. The air was oddly warm up here, but the breeze kept it cool enough to give me goose bumps every now and then.

"Hey, it's a weekend and I feel like we haven't hung out much! It'll be fine, the adults know you're with me."

"Yeah, like they even trust you. They're probably thinking of all the terrible things we're up to, which all of this by the way, is one of them!" I cut him off, laughing to calm my nerves as I stepped back. I sat on the roof, Hawks taking a seat beside me as he both got comfortable on the blanket he begged me to bring.

"I just want some time with my baby bird, say the word and we can leave." He playfully gave me a small shove, but I just shook my head and laughed as I looked up at the sky. The stars were so bright tonight, and the moon was casting scary shadows on everything around us. "No, I don't want to go home yet. We can stay for a while."

We fell into a comfortable silence, finding peace in each other as the moon slowly moved throughout the night sky. Fall was fast approaching, Halloween less than a week away and I was more than nervous about the small festival UA was holding for it. Nothing more than students and their immediate family, plus a bunch of pro heroes to make sure nothing bad happens.

Everyone wanted normalcy, especially after All For One had finally been captured, even though the rest of the League was still running around out there. Not only that, their numbers are growing significantly since Kamino Ward. Hawks was sitting with his legs crossed, his wings tucking over his own shoulders as a cold breeze whipped the air around us. I shivered for a moment, grabbing my hoodie and pulling it over my head and feeling immediate warmth.

"I have a giant mission coming up, I'm not going to be around for a while." I almost broke my neck, whipping my head to my right as fast as I can to look at him.

"What do you mean?! Where are you going?"

"I can't tell you, I can't tell anyone. I just wanted you to know, in case I can't see you or reply or whatever." He looked sadly at the ground, avoiding all eye contact with me as I tried to pry an answer out of him.

"No, Hawks, you need to tell me! What if something happens, what will I do when I need you!?" I felt tears spring at the corners of my eyes, threatening to fall as I sat in shock.

"I just wanted one last night, in case I don't make it back. That way, our final memory of each other will be good." He held a smile on his face like nothing was wrong, but I clung onto him roughly as I cried into his chest.

"You can't leave me, you're my favorite person in the whole world! Tell them to find someone else!" This couldn't be happening right now, why did no other hero know about this? Why was no one allowed to know anything, wouldn't we have seen something if the chief of police planned this?

"You know I love you baby bird, and that I'll do whatever I can to make it back to you. Let's just enjoy this."

It had only been three days since that night, and I was holding myself together as best as I could. I hadn't heard from Hawks since, even though I knew that would happen, a little part of me just wanted him to call.

I sat at the lunch table, surrounded by my friends but feeling alone. I had taken my hearing aids out, not wanting to feel even more overwhelmed by everyone around me as I silently picked at my lunch. I could feel Izuku laughing next to me, his chest vibrating everything around him. I smiled to myself slightly, jumping when Katsuki had stood up quickly shouting something at Kirishima who was in hysterics over whatever the situation was.