Part 1: Embarrassed Him

"Welcome!" He said with a small smile.

It was a 2BHK apartment, he felt embarrassed that his newlywed bride would feel uncomfortable in the house because she belonged to a rich family. It might be possible that her room alone was that of the size of his whole apartment back at her parent's house.

He wasn't the person who felt insecure but today he felt as if he was not enough for his wife. What if he fails to provide for her?

He didn't want to stood her any expectations. She was his wife now. His responsibility. He was bound to fulfill her every wish. Wasn't he?

He kept looking at her expecting her to scrunch her nose and humiliate him for having such a small house but she entered his home reciprocating a little smile he had just passed her.

In their arranged meet up he had met her a few times and she was quiet every time. He thought her to be a person of few words only. And he was right. She didn't say a word and kept nodding to everything he said since they got married.

"Please wait here," He said and rushed to the small temple beside the kitchen.

Holding a golden plate he mixed some water and alta in it bringing it for her.

Being an orphan, he wasn't aware of many rituals and their significance. But today before leaving his wife's house, his wife's mother guided him about a few of them that were necessary to perform.

He gladly obliged as he heard of their significance.

He was back before his awaiting wife who was at the doorstep. The apartment was plain and simple just like him.

The white walls had nothing on them. Absolutely nothing. Not even a painting or portrait. There were only necessary pieces of furniture and nothing for decorative purposes.

The moment Samridh looked at his wife's wandering eyes, he felt embarrassed. Everything was not up to her, not even him.

He knew she deserved better. Better than this house and better than him but she was here only because of her father. If only he would not have proposed this alliance and asked both of them to keep his wish.

He didn't really have a choice. Her father was his mentor. His senior, he learned a lot from him and couldn't deny him.

He agreed with a meek "Yes" but he was sure his daughter would reject him. But she didn't and today they are here, In his house.

He silently kept the pot filled with rice and plate full of alta before her. His head hung low, without meeting her gaze.

"Mummy Ji said this is a ritual to welcome the bride. " His voice was slow, he didn't know what to say to his wife. How to keep up with the conversation. Moreover, he didn't know about her behavior.

Just 3-4 meetings were not enough to know anyone's personality.

He assumed she was not comfortable with him as she hardly glanced his way.

She nodded yet again and pushed the pot slightly with her right leg, scattering the rice inside his house. Dipped her leg in the liquid and walked to the temple passing by the living room. All these rituals signified that she was bringing prosperity and love to the house.

She sat down before the temple and glanced his way who was just a silent spectator of everything. When he didn't make any move, she patted the place beside her, lowering her head.

Getting the clue, he sat beside her. The moment their knees touched, both of them jolted up quickly shifting to make a distance. The tip of his ear turned pink while her hidden cheeks in the veil heated up too.

She lit up the diya, joining her hands to pray. Samridh follwed her actions. She prayed for their well-being and a happy married life.

She stood up when she was done. He stood up too contemplating what to do now.

It was awkward, he had already embarrassed himself in front of her. He didn't know what to say.

She kept fidgeting with her fingers for the whole minute. The tension in the air was getting thick, it was making both of them awkward, "I need to change ". She said when he didn't say even a word after waiting so long.

He alerted hearing her voice. " Yes, That's my room. Your clothes are there" He clipped searching for the keys.

He handed her keys and she walked to his room.

A sigh of relief left his mouth. The tense situation between them was too much for him.

He had never imagined something like this. Heck! He couldn't even recall that he wanted to marry someday.

He slouched on the couch opening the few buttons of his sherwani.

He pressed his head recalling all these days, the preparations, the marriage, the teasings, the family. Everything.

All of this was overwhelming, for the first time he saw what it was like to have a family of your own.

And he was yet to discover what it is like to have a wife, to be married.