Chapter Four

Note: Hello, I'm back.

The next day I cleaned and took care of myself. At noon a knock comes from the front door and to my surprise only Mave stands there.

"No other guests?" I question as she walks in.

"Lazen is reporting to the higher-ups over her time with you, so there should be someone new here tomorrow. Also, today is a holiday so no one really wants to work."

"Then why are you here?" I go to the kitchen, as I continue making lunch.

"Well I'm still bound by contract to come here and I don't celebrate with succubus since I'm not one." She follows after me leaning against my counter with her arms crossed around her.

"You're not one?" I say stirring the pot before adding bay leaves in and stepping back waiting for it to boil.

"Yeah, neither of my parents are succubus. I just live and work in the succubus area but I'm truly a nature fae." She comes closer to me, resting her head on my shoulder, her arms still crossed.

"How many different sections are there?" I watch as the pot begins to boil, the steam rises intensely. I have to get this right. I pour rice inside the pot, lowering the heat and letting it cook. I shouldn't have used precooked rice, the panic sets in and I realize why now I hate making this dish.

"There's three: nature, succubus, and the ancients. The ancients are the oldest section, they created life and they created death. You know we weren't always nicknamed succubus, there are those who can take energy from the ground or other emotions. Folklore just made us popular for the sex part and pure blood succubus were in warm shades so people thought they were devils. The horns didn't help. We just kind of ran with it." She shrugs as she fiddles with her nails.

"I used mostly precooked rice so it's faster, do you want a bowl?" I ask but don't wait as I take two bowls out. "So tell me are you guys any closer to figuring out why I'm like this?"
    "That's the thing Lazen is trying to figure out, she's gotten a hunch that you are either part succubus, have been cursed somehow, or are just a freak of nature." she shrugs, "I have my bets on the last one."

"Would be cool if I was part succubus but I know both of my parents and even then you can't press dead people. They both were boring homebodies, so I can't imagine they sucked anything out of anyone but fun." I place our bowls on the table and we take our own seats across from each other.

"Ever been cursed?"
    "I don't know," I say looking down at the bowl, playing with the spoon in my hand. I feel scared to eat it. "I usually would have to make people mad to deserve a curse, and unfortunately I became the boring homebody. I don't have any enemies that I remember at least and for it to be around sex seems a little silly. I can come and fuck more than anyone else. How terrible, write my eulogy already." I say sarcastically. "It's more annoying because I can't find anyone that can keep up with me but not life-crushing and on the bright side owning the largest sex toy collection could be interesting."

"Going the cat lady route already?" she teases but I just shrug.

"I live like a bachelor already, throwing a cat in the mix would not harm me. I should mention that this started when I went to college, I just thought I had a second puberty. I just thought it was the result of the trauma of my parents dying if I'm being honest." I look up at her and her face falls, she looks sad by my words but almost so deeply affected like it was her own parents.

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be. I've gone to therapy and it's been a decade, your holiday also lands on my parents' death anniversary which is why you have the soup in front of you. You should taste it." I motion to her.