Chapter Seven

Besides their themes, the sections also differ, in how their societies run, ancients pride themselves in politics and power, nature with their royalty and community, and then there's the succubus who runs on religion and emotions. Right now I can feel the power that runs in their system as the ancients narrow their eyes as we walk past them. Intimidating in the grand sense, and as long as you hold whatever pseudo-power they deem you can tell who's above the other. Like when someone walks behind the other, and never steps in front. Delina walks in front of us her shoulders back and her nose tall as she moves through the city closed off for the ancients. Mave said ancients have multiple partners from different sections to worship the three founders who "birthed" all of them. Delina is just one of those children of an affluent politician. One of many who use their power to do what they want, but whether they exceed their parents is up to them. Who knew the fae world would have nepo babies?

For me on the other hand I have to be careful. I walk close to Mave, holding her hand because any ancient who finds out I'm a false soul will try to take me and they couldn't do much to help me. Luckily because the ancients stick their nose up at us they don't look at me.
Just like in Mave's section, there are trees everywhere shading the walkway, but I can't focus on the beauty of the place when I have to look down at my feet as I walk. Delina takes us to their version of a motel, with little cabins sprinkled in a field. It's small and reminds me of the place the blue woman took me to. I really wish I knew her name, it dances on the tip of my tongue and yet nothing can come out.

"You two stay here, you're already an eyesore. Everyone is still celebrating for the week, so to pry the ancients from the party is hell. Literally could've done this any other week in the year but no has to be around the biggest fucking holiday we celebrate." Delina complains angrily huffing as she crosses her arms.

"Are you done? It's not like anyone would've known, and the only reason your bitching so much is because it involves me." They glare at each other before Delina leaves slamming the door behind her.

"Am I allowed to ask what that is about?" I take off my shoes at the door and sit on the bed.

She stands in front of me scratching her head before looking at me, "I guess I didn't have time to explain while trying to do a crash course on this world. If you noticed Delina's mark is on both of her palms but she has two wavy ones that go up her wrist, she hides them but they're there. I did that," She points to herself. "We were once engaged, and my leave was also running from her. She didn't love me, she loved my status to get out of her police-type job, and the only reason for the mark was because she was embarrassed." she laughs, almost shouting before sitting down next to me. "What a stupid way to get a mark and they can reverse marks now, why would she even keep it?"

"I've been thinking about that you know, why yours is so large, no one else is as big. Then after you explained what they mean, I couldn't help but wonder. How did you get them?"

Her breath stalls. "My mark?" She touches her side.

"You don't have to explain if you're uncomfortable," I say in a panic.

"No, it's fine. I was quite sheltered as a child and grew frustrated with my position. These large swirls are from when I left. I was angry, I was scared, everything you could think of. I actually hid in the human world for a long time, without really knowing that time works differently between us two. Our days are several of yours. A lot of other stuff happened when I left, the new rulers ostracized Cupids and faes lost any extreme emotions just contentment. Most got their marks restarted which is why so many are small compared to mine." She pauses her voice stuttering, and she takes a deep breath before she can talk again, "Then I came back, started working for the succubus and I grieved for years about the life I had, I felt I had to kill the old version of me to survive. I burdened it all by myself in a world I had no idea about. " she holds herself as she talks, grabbing at her arms for comfort.