Chapter 42

Chapter 42

Emperor Macsen once again made his presence known in the center of the vast Aastha Manor. The regal figure, with his robes flowing like silk as he strolled through the vast hallways, appeared to make the majesty of the estate bend down before him. But beneath the royal façade, a maelstrom was gathering, and he was about to meet it. There was a tense stillness as Duke Luell welcomed the emperor. Unspoken complaints pervaded the air, and the Duke's glaring look conveyed his disapproval in spades. Emperor Macsen faced a day of reckoning as he stood alone against the Duke's disdainful waves like a lone ship.

"I see, you're really stubborn. Just like your clan," the Duke remarked, his tone carrying a hint of both respect and disdain. The air in the room crackled with tension from the clash of two powerful figures with conflicting interests.

The Emperor, undeterred, met the Duke's gaze with unwavering determination. "I'll take every chance to visit my lady, even if I get struck," he declared, a fire burning in his eyes.

As the words hung in the air, the Duke's eyes narrowed, and a silent challenge was accepted. A devious smile played on his lips as he gestured toward the door. "Go and take your chances. Make it fast, Emperor. Because sooner or later, her marriage will spread across your empire."

The Emperor, a man used to exercising authority and control, was hurt by the Duke's remarks. Nevertheless, he nodded resolutely and turned to leave the grand hall, motivated by a love that was greater than the political games.

But the Duke, ever the shrewd tactician, was not going to allow the Emperor to escape unharmed. He gestured to his guards, who moved quickly to close in on the unwary ruler. The opulence of the hall abruptly changed to become a cruel performance space. The Emperor was struck suddenly on the back while he was deep in thought about love and resolve. He sprawled to the cold marble floor from the force of the blow. Shouts of surprise reverberated throughout the hallway while the guards remained steadfastly loyal.

Pain surged through the Emperor's body, but his spirit remained unbroken. He rose to his feet, his eyes ablaze with a mix of defiance and anger. The Duke, watching with predatory satisfaction, spoke coldly, "You can be as stubborn as you want, Emperor, but remember, power is a double-edged sword."

Despite his wounds, the Emperor did not allow the Duke's brutality to weaken his will. He was going to see her, so what if he got hurt in the process? Perhaps he truly deserves this.

At last, the Duke allowed Macsen to walk down the corridors to Bellona's chamber. He made himself look fine and covered his new bruises. The door opened and Bellona was visible in her room when he got there. Bellona saw him and her eyes widened.

"My lady..." Macsen immediately greeted her and bowed before her to show her his utmost respect and admiration.

"Your Majesty, you're here," Bellona greeted.

The Emperor awkwardly looked at her; he was trying his best to hide his pain with a forced smile. "I brought gifts; would you like to open them?" Macsen said, referring to the carriage outside full of different kinds of gifts.

"I'm not interested, your majesty," Bellona replied, which made the Emperor sad.

Maybe she was taking her revenge. But no, she's too pure for that. This is simply her reaction to the damage he has caused. And this is nothing compared to what he did to her. He deserves more pain and suffering, so this kind of pain won't budge him a bit.

"My lady, I'm here to apologize once again and explain to you everything," he said.

Bellona frowned. "What do you mean?"