8

-So far, there are two that have impressed me more than the others. The first was a boy. He was the strongest, his hair was a funny colour; it was flesh pink. And he had a scar on his cheek. The second was a girl wearing a kimono adorned with flowers. She was small, not very powerful but exceptionally fast. Said the demon with the hands.

Tanjiro's eyes were wide open and his hands were shaking. Miyuki wondered if he knew them, his reaction had aroused her curiosity, but now wasn't the time, she'd ask him later.

-Those wooden masks are how I spot you! I recognise the urokodaki paw. They're carved using the same technique as his Tengu mask. Conjuring masks', that's what he calls them, I think? It's because of them that I was able to eat so many of your little comrades. Tanjiro's breath was more ragged, he was having trouble keeping his cool. Miyuki had understood that these two people were former disciples of their weapon master, and the way the demon talked about them irritated him to no end. They're in my belly now, it's as if Urokodaki had killed them himself. The demon laughed.I remember when I said that to the girl, she burst into tears of rage. Then he started giggling again. His movements became imprecise... hin hin hin! So I ripped off her arms and legs.

Tanjiro's eyes suddenly turned dark and he propelled himself towards the demon, Miyuki having seen that hostilities had begun moved up to better assess the situation. Tanjiro was slicing off all the demon's arms that were approaching him but the demon punched him in the ribs, that's when Miyuki took action, the demon was concentrating on Tanjiro and had completely forgotten about him.

-Breath of the Sun, 6th form Wheel of Fire. Miyuki struck a blow in the air while rotating, which cut the demon's arms.

The boy Tanjiro had saved cowardly ran away when he noticed Tanjiro had fainted against a tree. Seeing that the boy was too terrified to move, she ran to his aid, but behind her another hand was moving towards her brother. She had just jumped into the air, she couldn't turn back until her feet had touched the ground, alas it would be too late, the hands came closer and closer to him, Miyuki couldn't lose her brother so quickly, this was only the first stage of their journey, it was too soon. But at the last moment he stood up and counterattacked, Miyuki laughed and then went to save the boy by cutting off the demon's arm which fell at the boy's feet who screamed in fright.

Seeing that Tanjiro was handling the situation, Miyuki took the boy away from the fight and the surrounding demons, who thanked her after she'd deposited the cowardly boy in a high tree.

When she returned to the scene of the fight, she saw Tanjiro all alone, he had killed the demon and it had already disintegrated, Tanjiro had a sad look on his face, he was staring into space, surely where the demon had been a moment earlier.

Miyuki approached her brother and gave him a hug to cheer him up, he seemed affected by the emotions the demon was giving off and by the revelations he had heard earlier through the mouth of the hand demon. He turned and hugged his sister back.

___________________________________________________

-Well done to you all. Congratulations on your return, we're glad to see you back safe and sound. Said the two girls who had welcomed them before the ordeal. They were addressing the survivors of the seven-day ordeal. Unfortunately, there were very few survivors. There had been more than twenty at the beginning and now there were only 5: a girl playing with a butterfly, a blond boy mumbling: I'm going to die, I'm going to die, I'm going to die, even if I survived this time, one day or other I'm going to get killed. he looked terrified.

-So what's the next step? Where are our swords?" asked the third survivor, who had a scar running across his face.

The last two survivors were Tanjiro and Miyuki, they'd passed the test, their journey was just beginning!

-_-

slt

Sorry again @Elainehoshino for sending you this chapter late 🥺...

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed it!

See you next time!