Chapter 19: Dobby's Reward

"I told Ron we should have used a school owl!"

"You four realize, of course, that in the past few hours, you have broken perhaps a dozen school rules," said Dumbledore to me, Harry, Pansy and Ron.

Lockhart was taken to the hospital wing while Ginny was in McGonagall's office with Mr and Mrs Weasley who arrived a while ago, panicking.

"Yes, sir," said Harry.

"There's sufficient evidence to have you all expelled."

I opened my mouth to remind him who had killed the basilisk, then shut it. He knows that. Dumbledore won't expel us and I just know it.

"Yes, sir," Harry, Ron and Pansy replied, looking grim.

"Therefore, it is only fitting... that you all receive... Special Awards for Services to the School." He smiled at us.

We all enchanged excited looks.

"Each?" I asked, while Ron said, "Thanks, sir!"

If Dumbledore heard me, he chose not to show it. He nodded once at Ron and got up. "And now, Mr Weasley, Miss Parkinson, if you would have an owl deliverer these release papers to Azkaban," Dumbledore handed the papers to Ron. "I believe we want our gamekeeper back."

They nodded and turned to leave. Pansy shot me a look that basically said, I know this is his way of kicking us out because he wants to speak to you in private.

Once they left, Dumbledore turned to us. "Potters. First, I want to thank you both. You must have shown me real loyalty down in the Chamber. Nothing but that could have called Fawks to you."

"A club party would have," said Fawks.

"And second, I sense... that something is troubling you, Harry. Am I right?"

I turned to Harry. He did seem bothered.

"It is just —" he hesitated. "You see, sir, I couldn't help , but notice certain things. Certain — certain similarities between Tom Riddle and me."

I tried not to roll my eyes.

"I see," said Dumbledore, sitting back down. "Well, you can speak Parseltongue, Harry. Why?"

Even though he knew we had no answer, he still paused before continuing, "Because Lord Voldemort can speak Parseltongue. If I'm not mistaken, he transferred some of his powers to you the night he gave you the scars."

"Voldemort transferred some of his powers to us?" Harry asked horrified.

Dumbledare nodded once. "Not intentionally, but yes."

"That's cool," I said.

Harry seemed to think otherwise, "So the Sorting Hat was right, I should be in Slytherin."

"It's true, that the both of you possess many qualities that Voldemort himself prizes; Determination, resourcefulness, and if I may say so, a certain disregard for the rules. Why then, did the Sorting Hat place you in Gryffindor, Harry, while it placed Y/n in Slytherin?"

"Because I asked it to," Harry replied.

"Exactly, Harry. Exactly. Which makes you different from Voldemort. It is not our abilities that show us what we truly are; it is our choices. If you want proof why you belong in Gryffindor, then I suggest you look more closely at this."

He picked up the sword that was on his desk by the hilt and held it up for Harry who took it by the blade.

Idiot.