Chapter thirty

The door opened and closed. I waited to see if ill hear footsteps approaching me, but the only sound was clock ticking: rhythmically, persistent stepping through the silence.

  The sound started to fade away, disapearing. I wondered if ill hear when it completely disappears. I was suddenly afraid of that moment, unsure of what came later.

  The more vrbrant sound outdid the clock. Calm, unearthly sound, melodical dance in the air. Wings, I thought. They are coming for me.

  I held my breath waiting, waiting, waiting. And the the clock started ticking again. Instead of slowing down, the rhythm became more decisive. A spiral-like liquid formed inside me, entwining itself deeper and deeper. I felt the current pulling me. I was sliding through myself in some dark, warm place.

  My eyes opened in the familiar oak paneling on the sloping ceiling above me. My room. Feeling of peace washed over me, and then I remembered where I was. I was in gym room with Chan.

  I got chills.

  "Taehyung?" I said with hoarse voice. I tried sitting up and a muffled scream escaped me. Something was not right with my body. Every muscle was hurting, every bone, every cell in my body. I felt like a single, huge bruise.

  Something moved next to the door. Taehyung leaned against the door frame. His mouth was tightly pressed, without usual mocking trembling. His eyes had a depth that I had never seen in them before. His gaze was protectively sharp.

  "You fought well in gym room", he said. "But I think you could use some more boxing lessons."

  I suddenly remembered everything. Tears welled up deep inside me. "What happened? Where is Chan? How did I get here?" My voice broke from the panic. "I jumped of the beams."

  "it took a lot of courage." Taehyung's voice became tough and he completely entered my room. He closed the door behind him and i realized that this way, he wants to lock out all the bad things. He was placing obstacle between me and everything that happened.

  He approached me and sat on my bed. "What else do you remember?"

  I tried remembering. I remembered hearing the fold of the wings not long after I jumped off the beam. Without any doubt, I knew I died. I knew some angel came to take my soul.

  "Im dead, right?" I said calmly, feeling the headache from fear. "Am I a ghost now?"

  "When you jumped, your sacrifice killed Chan. Technically, when you came back, he was suppose to come back too. But if he didn't had soul, nothing could revive his body."

  "I came back?" I said hoping that im not deceiving myself with false hope.

  "I didn't accept your sacrifice. I rejected it."

  I felt my mouth forming into a small O, but it didn't manage to get past my lips. "You want to tell me that you give up your human body because of me?"

  He lifted my folded hand. Under all the gauze, my knuckle were still drumming from punching Chan. Taehyung kissed each one of my fingers, carefully, his eyes glued to mine. "What will a body do if I can't have you?"

  Even stronger tears rolled down my cheeks and Taehyung pulled me closer to him, laying my head on his chest. Very slowly, the panic faded away and I knew everything was over. Everything will be okay with me.

  Suddenly I moved away. If Taehyung rejected sacrifice, then....

  "You saved my life. Turn around", I solemnly ordered him.

  Taehyung smirked and granted my request. I lifted his shirt up to his shoulders. His back muscles were soft, defined. His scars were gone.

  "You can't see my wings", he said. "They are made of spiritual substance."

  "Now you are guardian angel." I was too taken back to fully understand, but at the same time I felt wonder, curiosity.... happiness.

  "I am your guardian angel", he said.

  "I got my own guardian angel? Whats your exact job description?"

  "Guard your body." He smiled wider. "I take my job seriously, and that means I have to get to know the object im working with."

  my insides fluttered. "Does that mean you can feel now?"

  Taehyung watched me in silence for a moment. "No, but it means im not on black list."

  The ceiling of the opening garages reached from below.

  "My mom!" I Sighed. I found my watch on the night stand. It was little after 2 a.m. "they probably opened the bridge. How doss this thing with guardian angels work? Am I the only one who can see you? i mean, are you invisible for everyone else?"

  Taehyung started at me like hes hoping im not serious.

  "You're not invisible?" I squealed. "You have to get out of here!" I tried sitting up to push Taehyung off the bed, but an excruciating pain in my ribs stoped me. "She will kill me if she find you here. Do you know how to climb trees? Please tell me you know how to climb trees!"

  Taehyung grinned "I can fly."

  Oh. Aha. Well, okay.

  "The police and firefighters were here earlier today", says Taehyung. "They have to completely renew the main bedroom, but they stopped the fire spreading. The police will come back. They will have few questions. If I had to guess, I would say they already tried calling you on your emergency phone."

  "Chan took it."

  He nodded. "That's what I thought. I dont care what you say to the police, but I would appreciate if you leave me out if it." He opened my room window. "One more thing. Jisoo got the police right in time. The ambulance saved Jimin. He's in the hospital, but he will recover."

  Down the hall, on the end of stairs, I heard the house door closing. My mom walked in.

  "Jennie?" She called for me. She threw her purse and keys on the mini table next to the entrance. Her high heels were tapping on the wodden floor while she walked fast. "Jennie! Theres a police  tape in the front door! What is happening!?"

  I looked out the window. Taehyung left, but a black fetter was glued on my window glass from the outside, holding itself there thanks to the yesterdays rain. Or Angel's magic.

  Downstairs, mom turned the lights on in the hall, so a flimsy strip made its way through the crack under my door. I held my breath and counted seconds, assuming I have two more before....

  She screamed. "JENNIE! What happened with handtrail!?"
  Good thing she didn't saw the bedroom yet.

  ☺️