Dealings

Opening chants

L: "Greetings to all of you at the ICPO. I...am L. Whether the guilty party is an individual or a group, there's a strong possibility that they are Japanese."

Lind L. Tailor: "Kira, I've got a pretty good idea what your motivation might be, and I can guess what you hope to achieve. However, what you're doing right now is evil."

Light: "You...you bastard."

L: "Now...try to kill me!"

Light: "I am justice! I protect the innocent and those who fear evil! I'm the one who will become the god of a new world that everyone desires!"

Officer 1: (talking over Light) "What the hell is going on? L is taking this too far."

L: (talking over Light) "Go ahead! Come on, right now! Kill me!"

Light: "L..."

L: "Kira..."

Split screen

Both: "I will hunt you down wherever you're hiding, and I will eliminate you!"

Light: "I am..."

L: "I am..."

Both: "Justice!"

~Task Force Headquarters~

Soichiro: "All right. Let's start with the tip line reports."

Mogi: "Yes, sir. Up to this point, we've received three thousand twenty-nine responses about the murders via telephone and e-mail. Most of these have been curious citizens and prank calls, but there are fourteen people who claimed to either know Kira or who have seen him. All fourteen accounts were followed up on and carefully documented. However, nobody could provide any information that wasn't already publicly available. And lastly, this week there were additional twenty-one people who called in claiming to be Kira."

Soichiro: "Huh."

Soichiro clears throat.

Mogi: "We didn't wanna rule anything out. So we followed standard procedure and created files for all twenty-one of them."

Soichiro: "Uh huh. All right. On to the victim reports."

Officer 2: "Yes, sir. Upon further investigation, we have confirmed that information of the heart attack victims was in fact publicly available in Japan immediately prior to their deaths. Also, concerning L's request that we investigate the time of death for each victim, we found that all of them occurred between the hours of 4 p.m. and 2 a.m. on weekdays, local time, with sixty-eight percent of them occurring between 8 p.m. and 12 a.m. Weekends and holidays appeared to be the exception to this rule as the times of deaths vary much more widely than during the week."

L: [Through voice modifier] "That information is extremely relevant for us. It suggests that, given the times of death, our suspect could very well be a student."

Soichiro: "Hmm?"

L: "Based on the fact that Kira is only killing criminals, I think it's safe to assume that he is driven by a very idealistic notion of justice. It's highly possible he may even aspire to be some sort of godlike figure. We're dealing with the individual who has a very childish concept of right and wrong. Of course, this is mere speculation at this point, but still, I recommend you re-examine any assumptions you've made as to whether or not our suspect could be a student. We must consider every possibility. I believe that's the shortest route to finding and arresting Kira. Please, continue with your report."

Soichiro: "Hm. Oh right. Does anyone else have something they'd like to add?"

Matsuda: "Um, yes sir."