Chapter Eight

It was nothing new when Finnick failed to show up for breakfast the next morning. It was nothing new when Bay and Luna said they hadn't seen him all night. It was nothing new when Annie went to knock on his door, only to find that his bed hadn't been slept in at all.

​But as Annie sat listlessly on the couch, watching reruns of the tribute scores on the TV, she was beginning to worry that Finnick wouldn't show up at all. It shouldn't bother her, she told herself. He hadn't been much help yet anyway. But it was two days before the games and they were supposed to be preparing for their interviews. Tomorrow night they would appear on television across the nation for an interview with Caesar Flickerman, the host of the Hunger Games. It was their last chance to appeal to the capitol audience, to get more sponsors, and to tell their story. The one time Finnick could have been helpful to have around.

​So then where was he? She had seen the note last night. An address, where he had undoubtedly run off to party or drink or sleep with some snobbish capitol woman. Finnick Odair had a reputation in the Capitol, and rumors always got back to District 4. Annie could easily guess where he snuck off to each night.

​But there was nothing to do about it. So Annie spent the day on the couch, watching the dull programs that aired on the TV, recalling all that she could about the skills of the Career tributes, and listening to Bay and Kai practice for his interview in the other room. It sounded like Kai was going for a very innocent and endearing persona – not that it took any effort at all. The only work Bay had to do was to keep Kai from sounding too enthusiastic about the friends he had made during training. Instead, they focused on talking about his talents, about his family back home, and other harmless topics.

​Annie expected that she would be talking about Kai in her interview. Luna and Bay had said it more times than she could count – a brother and a sister in the games together was something almost unheard of. It was sure to cause some of that drama that the capitol wanted so badly – if Annie could sound like more like a loving big sister and less like she wanted to murder the entire audience and President Snow, of course.

​After what seemed like several hours of interview questions, Bay called Annie over to join them. "We need to talk about strategy in the arena." he said, waving her into a seat. "Any sign of Finnick?"

​Annie shook her head. It didn't seem likely there would be any sign of him that day. Bay sighed. "Alright, well, we need to talk anyway. The games start in two days and the prep team will be working on you all day tomorrow. There's not much time left."

​Annie's stomach twisted at the reminder. "Do you think we need to change our plan? With all these new allies?"

​Bay looked back and forth between the two of them. "I know you have all these friends from training," he said, focusing on Kai. "But allies can be risk in the games. Especially in such a big alliance – it's hard to tell who you can trust. Even the Career pack doesn't really trust each other. And yes," he said as Kai began to speak. "I know you want to trust all of them. But I think the two of you should start the games on your own. If you come across the others in the arena, and they try to help you – if they don't try to kill you right away – then you can work together."

​Kai seemed disappointed, but Annie agreed. "It's not like we'll be trying to kill them, Kai." she told him. "I'm sure everyone is going to scatter as soon as the games start. It'll be safer if we don't move in a whole pack."

​Eventually, they persuaded him that it would be in everyone's best interest if they split up from the others, and the subject turned to their own plans for survival. "I think we should try and stay out of sight." said Annie. "Find some secluded place to hide out and wait for the worst of the action to die down."