24. User.

James' POV

Knocks at the door wake me up. I toss and turn hoping they will go away. It's no use, they unfortunately keep knocking.

I groan before getting up, half lucid, but I notice something. Clothes on the floor. Women's clothes.

I turn to my right only to see her. Fuck. I facepalm before getting out of bed to open the door.

I open the door prepared to cuss the person out, but standing in the doorway is Kirk.

"Hey."

"Hey..."

"Sorry I know it's late but we need to talk."

I stay silent.

"Look man, Joe can't get in between us. I care too much about our friendship, and as much as I care about Joe, she's been causing some serious fucking issues. This could be detrimental to the band and I don't wanna break it up over a chick.

He looks behind me to see her in the bed.

"Are you serious James?"

I try to keep my voice down.

"Look man, I'm just as disappointed as you are. I was drunk, she was mad, and it just kinda happened."

"James..." He looks away. I know he is mad. "Joe is a real fucking person. With feelings."

"You think I don't know that dipshit?!" I start 'yelling' in a low whisper.

"Well it doesn't seem like that! You fuck her every chance you get."

"She is my fucking girlfriend, and you seem to like when she fucks you too."

"You have no right asshole. The only reason she fucked me is because she didn't want to fuck you! And I honestly don't blame her."

"What the fuck is that supposed to mean Kirk?"

He pinches the bridge of his nose and laughs, exasperated.

"Well, let's see. You think you can go around using the people close to you because Mommy died and Daddy didn't like you. Here's an answer for you. You can't just fucking do that! Especially to Joe, and even more especially to the band. Our fucking careers are on the line and if you two can't get your shit together all the work we've done to get here will be worth nothing. You're a user. A fucking user. None of us deserve this shit from you, and if you think that searching for people to dump the blame on is gonna help you, then I want fucking out."

I'm in shock. I look at the carpet under my bare feet. I don't know what to say.

"Can we please talk about this tomorrow, Kirk?"

"Fine. Whatever you want, Hetfield. It always seems to work out that way."

"Meet me at the diner across the street at 4. I can't do this shit right now."

I walk to the cracked door and push it open, praying that it doesn't make a sound— praying that our whispered pissing contest didn't wake up Joe.

I get in bed and stare at the ceiling, trying to comprehend everything Kirk said. He's right, I am such a user. I look at Joe sleeping next to me. She is so beautiful, I can't believe I took her for granted. She really is one of a kind. I'm just like every other loser. I push her hair out of her face. I pull her closer to me and kiss her head and try to fall back asleep.

...

The bright light coming through the window wakes me. I slowly open my eyes to find Joe's head on my chest. I run my fingers through her hair and she also starts to wake up.

"Morning."

"Mm..? What time is it?..." Joe lifts her head up but quickly falls back down when she realizes she has no clothes on.

"Oh. Right. Last night."

"Yeah... That was something."

I get up and move to the bathroom.

"Um, can you give me something to wear?"

I grab a random shirt and toss it to her as I go into the bathroom.

"Um? Thanks..."

"I'm gonna shower. You can show yourself out."

God I hate being so blunt with her but I really don't want things to move on so quickly like that. I don't want to be cold but it would only hurt her more if I wasn't.

"Damn. Fine. Be like that." She gets up and storms out of the room aggressively.

"Fuck me." I whisper under my breath. This is gonna be harder than I thought.

I look at the time and it's already 12. Damn it. I've got shit to do before I meet with Kirk at the diner. I quickly get dressed and hurry out the door. I enter the elevator and meet with our tour manager in the lobby. This shit is really boring but at least it keeps my mind off of Joe.

After doing some basic tasks for the band, I realize it's almost 4. I gather my stuff and head over to the diner across from the hotel.

I go inside and see Kirk by the counter. I make my way up to him, dreading the conversation.

"Hey."

"Oh hey."

"What's your plan?" Kirk turns his body to me.

"Well I was thinking about what you said last night. I'm not gonna lie. You're right. I'm calling things off with Joe. She deserves someone better and our relationship puts the band in a bad situation."

"What?!"

Why is he surprised? Isn't this what he wanted me to do?

"What?"

"You're really gonna break up with her?"

"Don't you want me to?"

"Oh I don't care, it's just I didn't think you would actually break up with her."

"Well fuck me Kirk! You want me to get my shit together but then you also think I'm going too far. Do I ever win?'"

"Dude calm down. I was just surprised. I didn't think you would listen to me."

"Whatever."

"Look man, it's gonna be hard. I'll be here for you. Whatever you want, Hetfield."

"It always seems to work out that way, doesn't it?" 

AUTHOR'S NOTE: 

WE ARE SO SORRY!!!! It's been way too long since we posted a legit chapter. This is only the first of at least 2 chapters getting published tonight (yayyyyyy🥳) so hold on to your seats and buckle up. It's no excuse, but we just had midterms in school 🤮 and the holidays are coming up sooner than ever so we've been a little swamped. Anyways, enjoy the new chapters and THANK YOU!❤️

-P+S