Chapter 5

It was the last class of the day. Miss. Davis was beginning class. "Alright today, I want you to meet with a partner and discuss why people tell fairy tales." Everyone immediately got up to find a partner. Lizzie looks over at me. I bring my stuff over to the desk next to hers. "Are you ok?" She asks. "Just drop it!" I yelled back. Miss. Davis walks over to me. "Sweetheart are you ok?" I shake my head. "Do you want to talk about it?" I look at her. I feel the tears rolling down my face. "I don't think you can help me" I said weakly. "How come?" She asks. Lizzie just sat their waiting for my answer. I was about to say something, but the phone rang. Miss. Davis runs over to her desk. I sat there trying to pull my self together. A moment later, Miss. Davis goes back over to me. "The principal would like to speak with you" she said quietly. I gather my stuff and walk towards the door. "Would you like me to walk you down, sweet heart?" Miss. Davis asked. I shake my head and I left the room. As I walked to the office, I realized what happened. Josephine probably told the principal what I did in the bathroom. I felt sick in my stomach. I walked up to the office check-in desk. "May I help you?" Asked Mrs. Hanson, the secretary. "The principal wanted to see me?" I asked reassuring. She nodded. I walked in to the office.

When I arrived back home from school. My stepmother was waiting for me. She held up a letter. "I got an email from the principal" she said coldly. I could hear Clara and Josephine snickering behind her. " I read this, and it appears that you damaged school property". I felt so mad and also very embarrassed. "What were you THINKING?" She asked sternly. I was so mixed up with my feelings, that I didn't know how to answer. Melinda waited for me to answer. After a little bit she looked back at the letter. "It also says that you are doing very poor in your classes" I looked down at my feet. "School is hard for me" I said quietly. Melinda put her hand up to her ear.
"I'm sorry? What did you say?" She asked. "School is difficult for me" I said. Melinda looked over at Clara and Josephine and then Back to me. "Well that's because your STUPID!" She exclaimed. "I'm not stupid!" I shouted back. "You don't realize it, but I'm trying my best! I have six classes at school, I have a ZILLION chores at home to do! And I have three selfish and ungrateful people I have to deal with twenty four seven!" I closed my mouth real quick and I realized that I might have said to much. Now I've seen my stepmother in full rage before. But never have I never seen this. Her mouth was wide open and her eyes flared with anger. Clara was giggling quietly. And Josephine stood there in shock. Finally Melinda caught her breath. "HOW DARE YOU!" She hollered. "Don't EVER talk to me like that! I gave you a roof over your head and food, and this is how you treat me!"
"How I TREAT YOU" I yelled. "YES!" Screamed Melinda. "I'm your mother! You don't ever talk to me like that!" I felt the anger boiling in my body. And then I said something that probably could have gotten me killed. "YOU ARE NOT MY MOTHER! I DONT WANT TO LIVE WITH YOU ANYMORE!" Melinda Came towards me with death in her face and...BAM!...