Chapter 8

I have a TON of chores to do. And most of them include getting Clara and Josephine ready for prom. Right now I'm doing Josephine's hair. And she will not stop yanking.
"Don't screw this up. My hair has to look perfect. I don't my hair to look like a mop." I sighed. She is always worried about her freakin hair. Clara came rushing in.
"Ellie, put my make up on NOW!" She yelled. This was going on for about two hours. After I got them all prettied up (which their not) I had to take a few pictures of them.

About an hour later, a bunch of cars pulled up in the driveway. Josephine grabbed me
by my arm.
"Get out there! And bring your camera, you have to take pictures of me and Clara with our dates!" I grabbed the camera and rushed outside. I met up with Clara and her date. I took a few photos of them. There was also a bunch of other friends of Clara and Josephine from school too. I spent the next hour and a half snapping photos. I scanned threw all the photo's. And I realized I haven't taken a picture of Josephine and her date.
I walked up to Josephine. "Where is your date?"
"I DON'T KNOW WHERE HE IS!" She screamed angrily. I knew things were going to get ugly.
"Who is your date?" I asked calmly.
"It WAS Jacob!" She mumbled annoyingly. I laughed at her suspense. She glared at me hard.
"What is funny?" She asked.
"Nothing!" I said quickly.
"Well, maybe he's still getting all dolled up for me" Josephine said sensually. I agreed with her. Melinda came outside. She had a list in her hand.
"Alright Josephine and Clara, have fun at prom. Don't forget to kiss the boys" she said excitedly. She patted them both of them on the head. And they left with their friends. Then Melinda turned to me.
"You will do ALL the chores, including this list as well. I want the house spotless when I come home. And don't forget to clean my office"
I nodded. "Yes stepmother."
Melinda threw on a fur coat and got into her car. She rolled down the window and motioned me to come to her.
"I'll be at the casino. And don't forget about the chores AND you better start now, because I'll be home at midnight."
I nodded once more. I watched as her car drove off in the distance. I looked at the list

1: do all laundry
2: vacuum all rooms
3: wash all windows
4. Dust the cabinets
5: polish the wine glasses
Of course that wasn't even half the list.
As I was dusting, I felt a tear roll down my cheek. I really wanted to go to prom. And now Clara and Josephine get to have the time of their lives. But I was somewhat happy for them. I mean, they have been waiting a long time for this. But why couldn't I go? Why wouldn't Melinda let me go? I know I might have been disrespectful towards her. But for all the pain she caused me, she could have done ONE nice thing. Just one hour at prom would make me happy. But I can't just complain about this because, I got chores to do.
I gathered my dirty clothes and threw them in the washer. I felt a tickle on my arm. It was a spider.
"I'm sorry your spider friend got squashed." The spider jumped from my arm and started weaving its web. I smiled. I ran the washer and started sweeping the floor. I started humming a song to myself. Eventually my humming turned to words

🎶you are my sunshine
My only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray
You never know dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away...

The other night dear, when I lay sleeping
I dreamt I held you in my arms
But when I woke dear, I was mistaken
So I hung my head and I cried...

You are my sunshine
My only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray
You never know dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away🎶