Chapter 5: The Picnic

I walked over to Nibbles' stall. Well, as close as Doc would let me. Soon Sugar came over and laid down next to me.

    "I can't stand it!" She said after awhile. "Let's do something."

    "Like what?" I asked like there was nothing to do.

    "Hmmm," she frowned. "Hey! I know, let's go on a picnic!"

    I must have looked at her like she had just turned into a unicorn in front of my very eyes.

   She asked, "What?" In a fake-annoyed voice. She giggled a little at my expression.

    When I had recovered (which was not too long after) I told her with a slight nod and half still in my trance, "Since when do horses go on picnics?"

    "Oh, come on!" She said, obviously excited. "Let's just try it!"

     Because Master was so worried about Nibbles and always in his stall, Sugar was able to sneak into the house, where she found a blanket to lay on, hay cubes, lemonade (mostly water with a little lemon), sugar cubes (her favorite), and carrots. Soon we were on our way.

    "Oh! Feel the sunshine! Oh! The grass is so green!" She complemented Mother Nature's job frequently.

     We arrived to a big oak tree next to a little stream on top of a rolling green hill. The hill over looked a huge pond with fish swimming around. One the far side of the pond, some human children were swimming and a kayaker was exploring a small cove. I looked out past the pond and saw a small town, I couldn't see it very well, but I knew it would be like any other town in North Carolina.

    I spread the blanket next to the oak so we could still see the pond, while she unpacked the basket. We munched on the treats she found and chatted about anything but Nibbles. The subject of the visitors came up and how that girl...Emily, had turned down the mare. I really like that girl.

    After we had finished everything in the basket, we rolled in the grass and drank from the stream. I splashed her, only to get soaked. We chewed some clover and blew on the fluffy dandelions. Then we lay in the sunshine feeling the heat on our backs.

    "Ahh, this is the life!" She sighed.

    "Oh yes!" I replied with enthusiasm, "picnics are a great invention."

    We laughed heartily, forgetting the world and only knowing the present. Not knowing the future, but not caring. Once again I felt the strange feeling deep in my chest. What was it?

     Then we played a game of "tag" for fifteen minutes. I say she won, she says we tied.

    We went back to the barn laughing and joking, making it seem like a summer holiday. She told my about how she wanted to grow up, get a mate who actually stayed with her, and be happy with lots of foals and grand foals. I told her how I wanted everything to stay just the way it was.

    To this she replied grimly, "Not me, not with Nibbles."

[A/N

Hey guys! Sorry for the long wait, I didn't have internet for the weekend. I GOT MY BOTTOM BRACES OFF!!!!! So happy! The only problem is the retainer, it hurts a lot and is very uncomfortable. Anyways, tomorrow is my last day of school so I'll be updating more often and writing another book as well. I had a nice talk with my Grandfather over the phone and he was very encouraging (he's a writer too).
Here's the QOTD:
Do you have a sweet tooth?
AOTD:
YES! I don't  really like sour stuff but sometimes I eat them.
Please let me know if I made a mistake or if my information is incorrect! I don't mind it if you give me advice! 
Goodnight my dearies
-ES]