seven

Valentina Karas

The closer the GPS says we are to the mansion, the more the merriment fills my car. We're screaming a song at the top of our lungs when someone's ringtone interrupts our euphoria. Katelyn checks her phone and takes Sawyer's call.

"Babe, I really messed up." His ominous statement makes the four of us share a look. "We kind of got pulled over. We'll be a little late."

Katelyn frowns. "Shit. Are y'all okay?"

"Sawyer, tell her what really happened." Knox demands, piquing my curiosity. "Basically he cried his way out of a speeding ticket and the cop let us off the hook." This information makes the four of us burst into laughter. I laugh so hard I almost lose control of my car.

A smirk overtakes Katelyn's face. "There's no shot, Sawyer. That's insane."

"Yes ma'am." I can hear the smugness in his voice through the speaker. "What can I say? I did what I had to do." 

The image of the invincible Sawyer Long crying, let alone shedding tears to get himself out of a grave situation, starts our night in an unexpected way. 

"Damn. We're almost at the house. See you." Amusement laces Katelyn's features as she contemplates what she was told. 

As I pull up to the house, I have to make sure I'm at the right place. It's huge; my house could fit in there at least three or four times. Big iron gates, perfectly trimmed lawns, and a fancy entrance with massive columns. The double doors are intricately carved, lit up by lampposts in the courtyard. It's the kind of place you'd see in a movie.

Outside was impressive, but inside is something out of HGTV. The foyer has this massive staircase with a chandelier that probably costs more than Duke's tuition. The walls are decked out in rich colors, fancy artwork, and cool details. Music and laughter echo throughout the house. The four of us can't help but stand in awe of the place. 

"This girl's loaded." Katelyn comments, breaking the silence. Turning to Layla, she asks, "Are the kids at rich people parties nice?"

Layla nods. "They're not that much different from us." 

"Not gonna lie, I expected Knox to be really stuck up." Riley confesses as we make our way through the sea of people. "He's actually chill."

"Most people are nice, but there are always those people." Layla agrees. "I met this girl who didn't stop chirping about how she went to boarding school in Switzerland." 

Since I don't have anything valuable to contribute due to my lack of partying, I tune my friends out. Unlike them, I don't have much of a social life outside of school. They're really the only people I hang out with. Other than Asher's friend group, I know of a neighbor that goes there. I haven't talked to her, but her brother plays video games with my brother. Despite Layla's reassurance, I feel like a fish out of water. I hold onto the hope that feeling will fade as the night progresses. 

As we make our way to the back of the house, we find the pool and hot tub completely abandoned. I don't doubt Layla's story about someone using the hot tub as a toilet, but it is free of any fecal matter. 

"Man, this sucks." Riley was eager to get in the pool, even wearing a bathing suit underneath her clothes. She's the first to join everyone back inside. Unfortunately, she collides with an Asian girl around my height. 

Her pricey self-tanner can't conceal the blush spreading across her cheeks as she apologizes. "My fault." 

First tough guy Sawyer cries to an officer, now sarcastic and unserious Riley Johnson apologizes a million and one times to a stranger.