Ch-10

The class continued as usual. Students stole a few talks while teacher didn't look at them, some sneakily ate food, some giggled on the jokes. Though Sakura,Kiba and others from the group peeked at Naruto once in a while but it was all. Sitting on the floor, Naruto noted everything from the board on his slate carefully. He didn't have luxury of graphite pencil and notebook like others. For him every inch of chalk mattered.

"Alright everyone! Quickly note it down" the teacher sat on the chair granting the time for children to write.

"Are!" Naruto mumbled as his chalk was reduced to a dot. He looked at everyone in hopes if anyone could lend him. But the question was who should he ask. He glanced at the lavender haired girl who was coincidentally also looking at him.

Hinata quickly brought her eyes back on her book 'did he see me?' She questioned herself.

Just then the teacher took notice of the idle sitting Naruto "oye! You don't want to note it?" He asked in a little high toned voice. "M-my ch-chalk is f-finished" he quavered as he showed his chalk which had gone flat.

The students giggled at him

"I wonder why are you using slate and chalk. Can't you just buy a book and pencil? It doesn't cost that much" a student said mockingly.

"Come on look at him. I bet he doesn't even get to eat forget about chalk" another student laughed.

Naruto lowered his gaze at his slate.

"I-I have one cha-" just when Hinata was about to offer him a chalk the teacher spoke, "here take it" the teacher offered him a chalk".

"T-thank you sensei" Naruto got up and walked towards his teacher. " 3 ryo" the teacher said as took grabbed the chalk "it's of 3 ryo" he said.

Naruto stood there quietly holding the chalk. He didn't even know how much is exactly 3 ryos. He didn't even remember when he had ever held a coin in his hand. "Y-yes sensei I will return you tomorrow" he said slowly as he got back to his place.

"Tell me Naruto" the teacher got up from his place "why did you join the academy?"
Naruto stared at his slate thinking of an answer "to...to b-be a Ch-champion" there was no power and confidence in his voice. The class remained silent for a while before students bursted in laughing.

"Champion? You?"

"Even my legs are thicker than you"

"He really said it".

"Quiet everyone!" The teacher scolded "Champion huh....have you ever met Minato? You must have he was in your clan right? Uzumaki" Naruto didn't utter a word at him. He simply kept making circles on his slate. "You look a lot like Minato" Naruto's eyes widened in fear. He took a hard gulp. His legs were shaking.

"Everyone trusted him and he betrayed them. Freedom or quadruple the tax that was the deal between the fight. When Minato lost and tax was quadrupled the humanity took a serious hit. It was as if a huge wave pf tsunami that striked upon us. No one was prepared for this sudden hit...that was the level of trust on him. Lakhs of people died as they had no food to survive. My sister's family was also one of them.

With so many innocent deaths on his name....how would have Uzumakis survived. Villager's wrath destroyed the whole clan. But maybe only few might have survived like you but most died in that fire. I hope with bottom of my heart that Minato's family was also caught in that fire"

Little drops of tears erased the writings on the slate. Naruto's eyes were filled with tears. "S-sorry sensei" he said inaudibly in hoarse voice.

.........................