CHAPTER 2 -- ThE PainTinG...

Chapter 2- The Painting

Wei Wuxian's POV:

I hate him. I Hate ---- hate him. God, who the hell does he think he is?

Strutting around the school with those pals of his- how on earth does he get all those marks, anyway? I've never seen him studying. Does he study the night through, or what?

Not possible: he'd have dark circles under his eyes. How does he do it? He even pities me. I see it in his eyes. Probably thinks I'm something of a freak. Big deal : Half the school probably thinks the same. As if I care!

Ever since he's arrived here, I have to compete for the top position. He got it in the mid-term exams of 11th, I got it back in the annuals. In 12th, he inched ahead of me in the pre-boards, but thank Heavens, I got the top rank in the city- he was only 0.1% behind me though. It feels good to know I bagged a rank ten places above him in Beijing's biggest medical entrance test.

I think I might miss this, after all. It was rather nice, having someone to compete with.

Because he is brainy ; I can't really take that away from him. And yeah...maybe a bit more than me. But I'll never admit it in front of him.

Honestly though- I've never seen someone so intelligent and so immature. Playing silly jokes and pranks all the time. He doesn't give a hang what rank he gets. He doesn't need the top position--- that Lan Wangji.

But I do.

Because I'm not particularly witty or talented. I'm not even popular- I don't have any friends(not that I need them).

But I need to know I'm the best at something. I need to know I'm not a useless jerk, like the way my parents say sometimes. I don't know what's come over them recently- all they ever say is what a useless, good-for-nothing person I am , who only knows how to wreck a home. What's happened to them, anyway?

My elder sister is nice to me, though. I've started living with her and her husband now. It's a pity the school insists on having the parents coming to collect report cards. Anyway, I'll be glad to be free of this place. It's our farewell tomorrow. I don't want to go, but I suppose I must- It's going to be a happy day.

----------------------------------------

The Farewell:

The school was barely recognizable with all the decorations that had been put in place to welcome the outgoing batch.

There was to be a cultural programme, then lunch, and then some music and dancing. Everyone was clicking pictures of each other- well, almost everyone anyway, amended Lan Wangji to himself.

He had to admit, the girls in his batch did look rather pretty when they dressed up. Even the boys were quite handsome.

Except Wei Wuxian , of course- "handsome" doesn't define him. It never did.

He was presently wearing a white shirt with a grey coat and looked more like the Ice Prince than ever.

Lan Wangji rolled his eyes mentally : Wuxian wasn't worth bothering over.

"He's looking hot, man," said one of his friends. "I know, mate," said someone else. "Never would've thought it of him--- so boring..but honestly, he looks gorgeous."