𝐯𝐢𝐢. belongings

.·:*¨༺ ༻¨*:·.

The dinner party in full swing. About forty people were all sitting around the enormous table, candles and succulent dishes surrounding the table as gluttony overtook every member of the party that evening.

But Oliver, on the other hand, was far more interested in a different sin.

Across the table from him, Alexandra is laughing with her brother as they talk to the loudest and most red faced of all the Henry's, who's already half-cut. She hides her face in her twins shoulder as Henry narrowly misses his mouth as he attempts to shovel food in his mouth. Oliver did not like the way Felix looked down at his sister fondly, nor the very fact that she had been sat beside him.

"You're obsessed." He heard the voice beside him scoff and he turned to set his eyes on Venetia whom he hadn't spoken a word to all evening.

"Sorry?"

"You're obsessed with them, Felix and Alexandra." Venetia said as a footman offers Venetia some samphire. "Which one more so, I'm not sure but you are. Obsessed with them, I mean. It's pathetic really."

"Is that some jealousy in your voice, Venetia." Oliver said quietly, leaning over somewhat to the girl who gave him a withering glance. "You're upset."

"No! Don't worry! I'm used to it, honestly. Felix never liked sharing his toys and no ones ever looked past pretty Lexi to even give me a minute. It's not her fault, I suppose." Venetia said, her eyes softening a little as she set her eyes on her sister who giggled across the table at something Felix said. "Just wait until you fall out of favour, Ollie. People like them can have whomever they want whenever."

"Venetia..." Oliver said, his voice somewhat sympathetic as he attempted to speak to her but she's turned her back to him. "Venitia..."

Lady Daphne sighed with irritation, tapping the table impatiently with her finger before Oliver heard her and turned to face the woman.

"Me first. You're on my left." Daphne said with a peevishness in her tone that unsettled Oliver as he turned on the charm offensive.

"Sorry. Of course." He said with a smile. "So how long have you know the Catton's for?"

"Oh forever. Forever and ever." Lady Daphne said with a tight smile, apparently totally uninterested in the conversation that she herself had started.

"And how did you-"

"My husband is James' godson." She cut in, nodding over at the Henry who seemed to be the object of the golden twins' mockery, all while Lexi glowed beautifully in the candle light.

"Have you two been married long?"

"Yes."

"Lovely."

"Why?" She asked pointedly, catching Oliver very obviously off guard. "Why would it be "lovely"? The man's an idiot."

Oliver looked over to see Henry showing off across the table to much merriment from Felix and Alexandra once more, her eyes meeting his for a brief moment as she blushed softly in the dim lighting and looked away. Oliver changed the subject.

"Have you got children?" 

"Yes. Two. No- three." Lady Daphne said, pursing her lips in thought. "Three boys."

"That must be a handful." Oliver said but Lady Daphne simply looked baffled.

"Well, no. They're at school. That's the main thing about school- you hardly ever have to see them."