68: Behind everything, look for a woman

Author's note: Meaning - Behind everything, look for a woman - This phrase is used in detective stories as a cliché that it doesn't matter what the problem is because most often its origin is with a woman. It has a similar meaning to the saying that behind every great man, there is a woman. :)

Thank you all for reading and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! Hope you enjoy the chapter. The chapter is more about the match, hopefully you'll still enjoy it. :) :)

Dragon's Teeth Mountains

Eliz was about to go and stop the charade. She didn't like the way the elf was messing with her people. She looked forward to the fight, to seeing the men put on a show. She didn't want to watch him sweep the floor with them!

But no sooner had she taken two steps than she felt a grip on her shoulder. Before she could turn around, out of the corner of her eye, she saw Fraril's bearded face next to hers. It nearly made her jump out of her skin in fright. That sneaking wolf! Was he trying to give her cardiac arrest?

"Yukkgg..." Eliz suppressed a yelp that sounded like a trampled hamster. "Haaa... Fraril?" She pretended she never made that sound and asked him.

"I wouldn't interfere if I were you," Fraril calmly replied, turning his head towards her. Eliz frowned and backed away from him. Fraril let his hand slip away and didn't try to hold it back. "Why? It's clearly an unfair match. It only humiliates them, and by extension, me. Should I let it go?" Eliz disagreed.

"First of all, it's your fault they're in this situation. You agreed to something without thinking about it. Didn't you get a little too carefree?" Fraril folded his hands on his chest and lectured her.

Eliz stiffened and hid her embarrassment by rubbing the palm of her hand with her thumb. Fraril was right, of course; she couldn't deny that. But after all, this was someone who served Shannon, a light elf. She hadn't really suspected that it could be dangerous. Or was it possible that she had become too arrogant?

"You're just lucky that elf doesn't have murderous intentions. Otherwise, you would have condemned your men to death," Fraril frowned.

Eliz was uncomfortable. She suddenly felt like a little girl who had made a big error in judgment. She knew Fraril was right, but did he have to ruin her image like that? She quickly raised her hand to stop him. "Yes. Yes. I understand, Fraril. You're right. You don't have to go on. But in that case, I should do something since I'm the cause, right?"

Fraril shook his head and turned back towards the fight, Alarr walking back towards Draikini at a slow pace. "You'll make it worse. Take a good look at them. Can't you feel the energy?" Fraril asked her.

Eliz looked at her men in confusion. Grash was squatting on the ground, staring at the fight, his tail flicking from side to side. Holm was also staring at the elf and Alarr, barely blinking, his face serious and focused. Alarr, on the other hand, had perhaps every muscle in his body clenched, and his eyes were sharp and burning with an inner fire.

Eliz had to think and observe for a moment before she understood. "Ah... damn," she sighed.

Fraril nodded. "They're pretty into it. Win or lose, it's up to them. If you stop it, even with good intentions, they'll just feel more humiliated."

Eliz rubbed her forehead. She'd forgotten about that. Their fighting spirit and their male pride! In this case, they'd probably protest her intervention as well. "Aaah... it's driving me crazy! Okay. I won't try to stop the fight, but what are the chances of them winning?"

"Small," Fraril shrugged. "I wouldn't worry about it. Even losing is good for something. It will spark their desire to improve."

Eliz looked at him because something in his tone of voice told her he was speaking from personal experience. She looked at Alarr again and sighed inwardly. Was she really going to let this go? Even if she didn't have to stop the fight, she wanted the chances to be more equal.