71: Who laugh last laugh best

Author's Note: Hi, thanks for reading and thanks for waiting. I hope you enjoy the chapter.

What does who laugh last laugh best - Idiom. Used to say that even if someone is not successful now he or she will succeed or be the winner in the end.

Dragon's Teeth Mountains

Eliz averted her gaze from Broccoli and looked at Draikini again. "So... finding the Forest Protector, huh?" she repeated, suppressing a smirk. If she hadn't had Bonus Potential, she probably would never have thought of this little cutie being the Forest Protector. Who would have even thought of that? Isn't that a little ridiculous?

"Tell me more about it. How did that trial work? Where to go? What to do and stuff." Eliz prompted the elf to explain more.

Draikini nodded. "You had to go through the forest path and deal with whatever the Forest Protector placed before you. It could be a trial of wits, a trial of strength, a trial of courage... anything. You needed to make it to the end of the trail where the Forest Protector would be waiting for you."

Eliz tilted her head to the side. Why was that so cliché? It sounded like something the annoying author made up. Did that mean that at some point in the story, Selene and company were supposed to make it to the World Tree? Probably much later in the story. Eliz wasn't sure, but she blamed everything that sounded too awkward and pathetic on the author.

"And you're saying there's no way around this, right?" Eliz assured herself, not really wanting to get into it. Was she some kind of forest fairy to fool around in the woods?

The elf nodded. "Yes. There was no other option." Draikini confirmed, and Eliz sighed in annoyance. Should she reveal right away that she knew where the Forest Protector was? Would that be valid? She also had to consider if Draikini knew that Broccoli was the Forest Protector. He should know, shouldn't he? But she still had to think about that trait Broccoli had. Stalker.

Eliz blinked and tried to ask again. "Okay. And what did the Forest Protector look like? Would I recognize him when I found him?" she questioned.

Draikini nodded. "If you completed the trial, she would reveal herself at the end."

Eliz's eyebrows twitched. "She? So she's a woman?"

The elf nodded again. "Yes."

Eliz couldn't help but glance briefly in Broccoli's direction. She thought it was a boy! So she's a girl? Oh, or maybe she's both? After all, Broccoli is a Dragon; she could be androgynous. Eliz didn't know how to refer to Broccoli right now, but since Draikini referred to Broccoli as a boy, she'll stick with that.

At least now it made her feel more like Draikini didn't know that Broccoli was actually a Forest Protector. Ah... how would she benefit from that? Eliz bent down and picked up Broccoli in her arms, holding him quite lovingly against her. "Alright then. We'll be on our way in half an hour. But I'm taking Broccoli with me." She gave the Forest Protector a small kiss on the top of his head.

"Yuuu..." Broccoli shivered cutely.

Draikini shook his head. "If he wants to? Broccoli knows his way around the forest, so I don't see the problem." He looked at a pleased Broccoli and mentally rolled his eyes.

Eliz nodded in satisfaction. "Good. Let's get ready then." She handed Broccoli to Draikini. "I'll come for him later," she said cheerfully and made her way to her group.

Draikini took Broccoli and looked after Eliz thoughtfully. "What is she so excited about? She was so unwilling just a moment ago. Is she... um... what's it called... ah... is she eccentric?"