Insignificant Chase

KOMAL'S POV:

Three agonizing days had slipped by without a glimpse of him. It felt like an eternity filled with torture, humiliation, guilt, and an ache that wouldn't subside.

The grand cake-toppling incident garnered widespread attention, enough to make even that Instagram influencer, twerking in her birthday suit, turn a shade of envy. It was the flood of trending reels and hashtags across social media. But that was just the tip of the iceberg.

Amidst the buzz about my exorbitantly priced lengha and the opulent decorations, there was a more significant revelation.

My ex-boyfriend attended my engagement with a Prince. Not that the world knew about that at large. Vihaan and I were always tight-lipped about our relationship and Vihaan wasn't as famous back then.

Still, the cat was out of the bag: Divirath and I were officially an item and Vihaan did nothing about it!

Our company's stocks surged the moment news of the Geonkas' collaboration hit the public, while my brother worked tirelessly, securing connections to bolster his odds in the imminent election. However, amidst this whirlwind, there was radio silence from the Malhotra's. Not a word, not a glimpse. NOT A GIFT! Nothing.

For a second, I could digest Vihaan's indifference but Viraj, his twin brother was a beast in the body of a human. Freaking hell, he had kidnapped his wife from her wedding because HE WANTED HER.

Viraj's indifference was making me uneasy. I knew it was good that I was out of trouble. But for how long? What I knew about the infamous Malhotra brothers after four years of dating and separation—was they never let it go!

They were carved out of a sinister material and playing with the rules and all was their favorite pastime.

Then where had Vihaan disappeared to? Why was he pretending like we never met?

Now I hadn't anticipated him racing after me after I ended things on that hideously mysterious note. It had been years and he had all the good reasons to move on. He could fuck every single woman out there. Yet, I'd be dishonest if I said I didn't expect some form of reaction out of him.

Maybe a fiery retort? An attack? Another abduction? I wasn't sure. It had to be anything but silence.

The prospect of facing him post-breakup had always haunted me since the day I told Abhay what I did and how I wanted to get away from Vihaan all those years back. Now, having finally crossed paths after all these years was making me think. Maybe...just maybe I was wrong in my calculation. Maybe he didn't love me as much as I thought he did. Maybe he had seen through things and was waiting for me to walk out.

Anyways, all of it made me feel insignificant...like I wasn't special. I felt like a total loser. I was a sore loser.

"Where do you think you're off to now, girl?" My mother pounced the moment my feet touched the living room floor and I nearly shrieked and broke my nose.

"Gosh, Mother! Are you possessed?" I exclaimed, clutching my poor heart. It took me a few seconds to drag my wandering mind back to my father's house where I was presently residing.

And I was bitter, angry, and disastrous when I lost. Wrong time, Mumma! Very wrong time!

Glancing past her, the sight of the oversized wall clock, a memorial gifted to Abhay by some Anti-Harrassment Foundation, I shuddered. It was two in the morning, and she was wide awake! Hah! I always suspected she was some sort of nocturnal spirit. Guess, I wasn't wrong after all.

"You gotta have soul to be possessed. How could I be when when I've kids like you wandering around my house? Now, back to the original question! Where are you fleeing to at," she turned to read the time. "two -fifteen?"