The Web Tightens

KOMAL'S POV

"Watch out, you idiot!" I yelled at an unsuspecting stranger, completely absorbed in the chaos around me as I basked in the Bahamian sun, steering the car toward Divirath's private beach.

Nassau displayed its vibrant colors, yet my heart was clouded with duskness. Boarding the flight when Vihaan turned away might seem cowardly, but it was necessary for my sanity and for those around me.

Sure, my manager threw tantrums like a spoiled toddler, but there was only so much he could do to the sister of a politician and a soon-to-be princess.

A quick text to my family, informing them about my impromptu trip, and a flirty conversation with Divirath to persuade him into letting me use his private plane later—here I was in Nassau, Bahamas—flirting with the ocean waves and hiding from my irresistibly sexy ex-boyfriend.

It had been two weeks since that dreadful night, and Nassau had embraced me with the first break of dawn.

I needed distance, a break from the chaos that had unfolded in India, and time to reflect and make decisions after... what happened! Also, a tiny part of me was terrified of facing Vihaan Malhotra... ever again!

"And somebody was just telling me they were betraying themselves in believing a spark ever existed!" Vihaan whispered in my ear as I struggled to catch my breath. "We don't need a spark, baby, when we are on fire! I burn for you every damn minute. Stop lying to yourself! I know you do too!"

I despised how even the liveliest of places were helpless to erase our recent encounter. It was frustrating, annoying, and maddening. Damn it! Hadn't the Malhotra parents taught their sons to handle a breakup with grace? Nope!

The Malhotras are raised to chase women until they drive them nuts! Poor little me was still digesting his attendance at my engagement, and the last thing I needed was to be tracked down and subjected to a full-fledged interrogation.

No, it wasn't a confrontation; it was an inquisition under the moonlight!

Though it had been a colorful week of gentle waves caressing the shores of this tropical haven, I still got shivers every time I recalled our first real conversation in almost five years.

"Why did you do this?" His voice cut through the air like a thunderclap, echoing in the empty streets.

"Why did you have to ruin my dream?" I could feel his fiery breath on my face as the air between us charged with current.

Maybe I was imagining things, but something in the air had shifted between us. My treacherous heart went wild as uncontrollable emotions stirred and oozed from every pore.

It was only a matter of time before it'd all come crashing down.

"Why did you have to break my heart, Komal?" His voice cracked, making my heart bleed.

"How could you do this to us? You promised?" I watched his throat wobble as he gulped and let out a shaky breath.

If I didn't know him better, I would have been fooled into believing he was cold. Neither he nor I was. How could we be when the intensity between us was engulfing us in flames?

I'd be lying if I said I didn't nearly cry and give myself away in his arms. Vihaan and I had dated for a solid five years before... before I broke up! And he was the dream boyfriend one could ever have. Sweet, understanding, charming, and a true gentleman.

The young man who had stolen my heart and preserved it like a treasure. He was my missing piece... my soulmate. Yet, he wasn't the one to hold it upon my head.