Chapter 18 [Elise]

He is standing at the door, shoving the picture at my face. I didn't ever want to see him. It's been a decade since I last saw him. I know he came here for a purpose but how did he find me?

As we chat, his eyes go to my racing suit. His face changes, and he asks, "How long can you keep running?" It's a scary question, making me think about the walls I built to hide my secrets.

The secrets I thought were safe might not be anymore, and I'm scared about what happens next.

Without wasting more time, I invite him.
"Why don't you come in so we can have a conversation"

He doesn't even hesitate and shamelessly enters my flat. He sits on the small couch beside my shelf.

"You wan' drink?" I ask hoping for him to say no cause I don't have anything to offer.

"A cold beer." He demands.

I don't have a beer right now. What to do now?

I walk up to my fridge, open the door, pretending to search for a can or bottle.

Closing the door, rearranging my face expressions, I inform him. "I think I forgot to buy one. I've been busy these days, so..."

"Busy making money." Rising abruptly, he strides purposefully towards my money box, a predatory glint in his eyes. "Or busy killing people."

"The fuck you're saying." I swiftly approach him.

"Am I wrong?" He tosses the picture near my feet.

I bend down to pick up the dusty photo, I clean it with my hand. "I never killed her."

He roam around my room, scanning it from every corner. The atmosphere is tense, my diaphragm shrinks with anxiety crippling over my body. I don't want him here. Or more like I don't want him in my present.

"You live on rent?" He crosses the inches to move near me.

"Who doesn't?" I counter question.

He places his hand on my shoulder, gives it a reassuring rub, and then smirks, adding an unsettling layer to the gesture. "The one with an infinite amount of money who can buy everything. Even the lives of people. Don't you think?"

"Why are you here, Sean?" I ask, giving him a disgusted look.

He laughs uncontrollably. "Wanted to catch up with my old buddy."

Why he's doing that? Why he came here? What he wants? I worked so hard for reach here. I can't let him waste my efforts, my blood, sweat and tears.

"Leave, Sean. Just leave..."

"Alright. Alright. I'm leaving. Will visit you soon." He exits abruptly, leaving behind a lingering sense of mystery in the air.

I lock the door immediately, temporarily blocking the upcoming problems.

I go straight to the bathroom, and turn in the shower. The water is cold as always. I'm used to it. It helps me relax my nerves.

After taking a shower, I blow dry my hair, and go straight to my mattress. It was a tough day.

**************

The next morning, I wake up with a lingering sense of unease. Sean's unexpected visit continues to haunt my thoughts, and I can't shake off the feeling that he's hiding something.

I decide to dig deeper, to uncover the truth behind his sudden reappearance. I decide to initiate another meeting. With a mix of apprehension and determination, I call him, and he agrees to meet at a desolate warehouse on the outskirts of the city.