Chapter 48

*Song for this chapter: Like I Can by Sam Smith*

October 21, 2017

"Ducky, seriously! Why can't I see what you're making in that little book!?" Harry was pouting as we sat in the car waiting for Anne, Gemma, and Camille. I was in the passenger seat, Jake was next to me in the driver's seat, and he was in the back on the driver's side. We were all going to the We Can Survive benefit tonight since he's on the lineup. I was excited, trying to play it cool though; I hadn't been before and I was looking forward to seeing the other sets. It was also Anne's birthday which made the excitement double. I'm curious to see how she celebrates since this is the first one I'm spending with her. Granted, Gemma and I didn't get here to Harry's until about an hour ago... still.

"Because, it's none of your business." I replied calmly to him. It all started because I was double checking that I had sunscreen in my bag and a hair tie so I had to pull the little journal out to look. 

"You said it was for both of us, I think it's only fair if I'm part of it, in whatever capacity, that I get to know."

"Hare... Stop. I told you that this was something I wanted to do for both of us, but I wasn't sure if it was going to be something I shared. Leave it alone!" The journal was now tucked back into my bag between my feet in the footwell. I caught him back in Phoenix trying to find it and I can't tell if he is so obsessed just because he knows I'm not telling him or not. I'm going to show him, eventually. I'm just not sure if it will be as important to him as it is to me.

"Fine, I just don't understand why we share litchrally everything else, but this?" Here come the dramatics. He's thrown himself forward between the front seats to look at me with pleading and distraught eyes. "You taunt me with it day and night." Thankfully, Anne opened the door and Harry booped my nose as he sat back in his original seat. Gemma climbed into the way back, then Camille slid in to sit next to Harry, and Anne was the final one in.

Jake was trying not to grin at mine and Harry's interaction. "Right, everyone in?"

"Yes. Let's go Jakey. I don't like it back here." I snorted a bit and tried to play it off as a cough. "Why did we all have to go in the same car?" Gemma called from the back and poked Harry's head forward.

I laughed as I answered truthfully. "Because your brother didn't want to feel like he was choosing between his women on your mom's birthday."

"Heyyyy." Harry protested. "Fine, I'll get out and go in my own car." We all knew he was full of it because the car was already out of the drive with the gate closed behind us. 

"Oh, Haz. Don't be silly. This is fun, isn't it everyone?" Anne was excessively cheery, and I had to grin because I wondered if she was trying to compensate for something. "Jake, thank you for waiting and driving us." She reached forward and pat him on the shoulder. I mean, she's always kind and generous, but this just seems different.

"It's my pleasure, Mrs. Twist." He kept his eyes on the road.

"It's also his job." I quipped and I felt his glancing side-eye.

"So, what is the protocol? I mean, you're dating the boss' best mate. Do you get to give him shit with the rest of us?" Gemma leaned forward on the seat in front of her with her face almost right next to Harry's. "Because I want you to. Also, is this considered a date? You two look mighty fancy sitting up there together." She knew what she was doing.

Gemma woke up feeling feisty this morning. She stayed at my place while everyone else was at Harry's. Well, mostly everyone. She was asking what I thought about Camille, talking about how she liked her, but she seemed very forward, and talked about how Anne was trying to impress her even though today was supposed to be all about her. I thought she was joking about Anne because that didn't seem like something she would do, but here in the car, I can kind of see it. It makes me feel better that she didn't do that with me.