Chapter 12: Unfound Pride

Two hours had passed and everything seemed safe and sound, for now.

As Derek continued to drive forward, Eyrin was looking at an old photo.

"What are you looking at, Eyrin?" Genix asked.

"A picture of my best friends when we were young kids." Eyrin said.

"Can I see it?" Genix asked.

"Sure you can. Here, look." Eyrin said, passing the photo to Genix.

It was a picture of two boys and one girl smiling outside, a young Eyrin in the middle with one girl with black hair and gray eyes on the left and one slightly taller boy with white hair and purple eyes on the right, holding their right hands together.

They were in a deserted field filled with boulders as the sky was white and cloudy. It appeared that they stood on what looked to be a gray brick pathway leading to a sinister devilish gate door behind them. It was noticeably computerized as it appeared colorful and unrealistic.

"Who are they?" Genix asked.

"My best friends, This was taken back at Solliend's Virtua Park." Eyrin smiled.

"Virtua Park? Those places are expensive. How did your parents manage to get tickets to enter?" Genix was surprised.

"When I was nine years old, My dad won a couple of tickets to Virualand at his job. My family took us there and stayed for a week."

"Damn, a whole week? That's very generous."

"Yeah, it was a lucky day back then. I was excited to go there. I was there wanting to try out all the rides I could find. It was really fun and breathtaking. But I could only ride a few of them as I didn't bring another kid with me. So I didn't have a partner."

"Yeah, I've heard about the partners thing. So who's this girl?"

Eyrin had a look of embarrassment on his face.

"Well, I tried to look for anyone who wanted to be my partner, but everyone was busy. Soon I got lost and I had no idea where I was. Until she came over to me."

"She approached you?"

"Yeah, believe it or not, she actually came over to me. That's Chloe. She also needed a partner too. I was asking her to help me get back to the hotel and she said she would after we go on some rides together. She was really nice as she was cute." Eyrin smiled.

"And the other kid?" Genix pointed.

"Oh, now this one is hard to believe, but I swear to you that we've become friends with such a kid. That's Sinko. Not only is he a Beetle Biker fan like me, but he's actually a rich boy."

"Rich? Really? Like having loads of money, kind of rich?" Genix said, surprised.

"Yeah, really!" Eyrin replied, it seemed like he was telling the truth.

"But he doesn't look that rich."

"Yeah, I know. Although he's got money in his pockets, he's actually kinda humble. I saw him buying some Beetle Biker stuff and I was interested in getting to know him. We talked for a bit and he's pretty cool, never once treating me like I was dirt. He told me he didn't feel like he fitted 'the overpriced lifestyle'. His words, not mine."

"At least he's humble. You never told me about them before." Genix said.

"Believe me, I would've introduced you to them if they were around. The thing is after that week, We've had Joinex contacts, then our phone numbers and we would talk to each other a lot. Then they just... weren't active anymore...." Eyrin frowned.