Back in the Clouds

Finally arriving back at Cloud Recesses, Wei Ying felt like he had never left. Actually, he really didn't go, thanks to Lan Zhan. Being honest with himself, he never wanted to leave. It just seemed like the thing to do. Since his brother disowned him and he was banned from the Jiang Clan, Wei Ying didn't feel like he fit in anywhere. The only person who made him feel wanted was Lan Zhan, and also Wen Ning. However, Wen Ning needed to find his own path, and Wei Ying encouraged his friend to see the world. Wei Ying was uncertain if he would ever see Wen Ning again, but he had hoped they would cross paths again someday.

As Wei Ying and Lan Zhan entered Lan Zhan's residence, the Cultivation Chamber, Wei Ying looked over his shoulder, and out the doorway. Lil' Apple was happily chomping on some grass surrounding the property. We Ying gave a contented smile and brought his attention back to Lan Zhan. Lan Zhan gracefully floated over to a table and sat down in one smooth motion. Following his lead, Wei Ying plunked down beside his friend watching as he meticulously poured them both a cup of liquor. Smiling at his friend's gesture, Wei Ying stroked the tip of his nose with his index finger as he usually did while deep in thought. "So, Lan Zhan. Do you keep a constant supply of liquor on-hand, now?" Pausing and giving Wei Ying a sideways glance, Lan Zhan did not answer, but continued to pour and hand a cup of liquor to his friend.

Sitting up straight, Lan Zhan grabbed his own cup of alcohol with both hands and tossed it back like a seasoned drinker. Wei Ying gave out a chuckle to his friend's nonchalant drinking and followed suit. Slamming his cup onto the table, Wei Ying sucked air back through his teeth and said, "Lan Zhan. That is high quality. I didn't know you had become such a connoisseur." Grimacing uncomfortably, Lan Zhan looked up at Wei Ying and his expression softened into a longing stare. Both men stared at each other intensely for what seemed like an eternity. Finally, Lan Zhan broke the stare and looked down at the table.

Sensing his friend's unease, Wei Ying tried to change the subject

Sensing his friend's unease, Wei Ying tried to change the subject. "Now that I am here, what should I be doing? Am I going to be helping you run this place? Do you want me to teach my crafty tricks to the students?" Being the founder of demonic cultivation, Wei Ying was known in a past life as the Yiling Patriarch. It was a notorious title that he could not shake, even after being absent for the past sixteen years. Lan Zhan's eyes shot up at Wei Ying in disapproval. Making a groaning noise, Wei Ying frowned in understanding, and submitted, "Okay, no crafty tricks. Then, what?" Placing both hands flat on the table, Lan Zhan sat tall and glanced out the doorway, "I want you to assist me as my vice general of the clans." Since the former Excellency of the clans was executed, Lan Zhan was promoted to the position. Now, he was in charge of all matters that involved all clans and was a figurehead for their solidarity. It was a position well-deserved and well-earned. There was no one that could compare Lan Zhan's sense of justice or poise.

Letting his bottom lip protrude pensively in response to the proposition and massaging his chin, Wei Ying felt honored at his friend's prestigious assignment. Looking up at his friend endearingly, he gently responded, "Lan Zhan. You know I will always help you, but you don't have to make me the vice general. I know people are still weary of me." Turning his head mechanically to look at Wei-Ying, Lan Zhan declared, "It doesn't matter what they think." Giving him an endearing smile, Wei Ying reflexively reached his hand out and placed it on top of Lan Zhan's while keeping eye contact. He could feel his friend's hand tense-up under his palm. Still, Wei Ying wrapped his finger up under Lan Zhan's and gave it a soft squeeze. "Lan Zhan, if that is what your wish is, then let it be so. You tell me what you need."

Feeling like his friend was having a silent meltdown due to physical contact, Wei Ying begrudgingly removed his hand and sat back with a pout

Feeling like his friend was having a silent meltdown due to physical contact, Wei Ying begrudgingly removed his hand and sat back with a pout. Swiftly, Lan Zhan grabbed the bottle of liquor and proceeded to pour another cup. He was still reeling from their affectionate display. Moving his eyes to Wei Ying's cup, he grabbed it and refilled it. Placing his two hands together, Wei Ying gave a small bow and cheeky grin in gratitude and threw the cup's contents into his mouth. Similarly, Lan Zhan quickly emptied his own cup, and placed it back down onto the table with a disturbed expression. All of a sudden, Lan Zhan's attention went to Wei Ying's mouth and then to his eyes. Longingly, he stared at Wei Ying and took a hard swallow. With a warm smile, Wei Ying met Lan Zhan's intense stare. Wei Ying raised one leg and propped his arm on top of his knee. Looking around the room, Wei Ying said, "So where am I going to sleep? You only have one bed."

Lan's Zhan's eyes flashed and widened. Where was Wei Ying going to sleep? Lan Zhan supposed he could sleep on the floor for now and Wei Ying could take the bed. As Wei Ying studied the bed, he surmised out loud, "It looks like it's big enough for two people. We could share the..." Before Wei Ying could finish, Lan Zhan shot to a standing position and grasped his sword. Startled by his quick movements, Wei Ying's eyes lingered on Lan Zhan for an explanation. Pursing his lips together, Lan Zhan said, "That would be inappropriate. I will figure out other sleeping arrangements for you." "Ahh, Lan Zhan," Wei Ying moaned disappointedly, "why can't we share the bed? We're confidantes, aren't we? It is cold at night. Wouldn't it make sense for us to sleep together?" Lan Zhan's mouth twitched, and he moved from the table looking away from Wei Ying.

Struggling to get up, Wei Ying stood and stretched, giving out a big yawn. "Lan Zhan, I'm tired. I think I'll have a nap now." Frowning at Wei Ying, Lan Zhan watched as he snuggled himself into Lan Zhan's bed and wrapped a blanket around him and up under his chin. Wei Ying thought to himself how the pillow smelled of Lan Zhan, which made him smile. Completely motionless, Lan Zhan watched, panicking as his friend nuzzled into his pillow. Not knowing what to do, Lan Zhan stated, "You can rest, now. I need to do something." He waited for a response but heard Wei Ying's breathing slow and become deeper. He was already fast asleep. Letting his body loosen up, Lan Zhan tilted his head thoughtfully at the slumbering Wei Ying. Giving a sigh, he walked out the door and looked out into the sunlight. It was starting to dim as it was late afternoon. Thinking about nighttime made Lan Zhan nervous. Maybe he should pick up a few bottles of Emperor's Smile for later on. It may help them both sleep.

 It may help them both sleep