What Rules?

Finally seeing a wave of white in his peripheral, Wei Ying casually turned to look and gave a big grin at the sight of Lan Zhan. In normal fashion, Lan Zhan remained apathetic in appearance, but gave off an air of warmth. Wei Ying snickered to himself thinking that Lan Zhan was quite the paradox. Wei Ying broke the silence, "Lan Zhan. You are back. Did you eat yet? I went into the town and bought a few steamed buns for us." Lan Zhan was pleased at the thought of food but was disappointed Wei Ying did not stay inside. Knowing that Wei Ying lacked spiritual power made Lan Zhan apprehensive of him going out alone. Sensing his friend's dissatisfaction, Wei Ying said, "Lan Zhan. Don't be mad at me. I was hungry and thought you would be too when you got back. I made sure no one at Cloud Recesses saw me. I didn't even stop at the tavern." Lan Zhan rolled his eyes and walked inside. A grin spread across Wei-Yings face, and he gleefully bobbed behind him. "Lan Zhan. Is that Emperor's Smile?" Lan Zhan turned his head back towards Wei Ying and gave a stern, "Yes."

Merrily, Wei Ying plopped down on the cushion beside the table and uncovered the steam buns, presenting them to Lan Zhan

Merrily, Wei Ying plopped down on the cushion beside the table and uncovered the steam buns, presenting them to Lan Zhan. Lan Zhan leaned his sword on the wall behind them and floated down into a seated position at the table. Uncorking one of the pearly white bottles of liquor, he turned two cups right-side-up and began to fill them with the liquid. Placing one cup in front of Wei Ying and then himself, he put his two hands on either thigh. Lan Zhan inquired, "Did Zewu-Jun come to see you?" "Ahh," Wei Ying groaned uncomfortably, "Yes. He told me to behave myself and not to get you into any trouble." With his head downward facing the table, Lan Zhan moved his eyes up to look at Wei-Ying. "Ahhh, Lan Zhan. Don't worry. I reassured him I would be on my best behavior," Wei Ying said as he raised three fingers together in an oath-like gesture. Glancing up at Wei-Ying, he saw that his attention had shifted to the cup of alcohol in front of him. Gracefully picking up the cup, he threw the liquor down his throat and refilled it again. The two men sat in comfortable silence as they ate, drank, and enjoyed each other's company.

 The two men sat in comfortable silence as they ate, drank, and enjoyed each other's company

An expression of mischief materialized on Wei-Ying's face as a thought popped into his head. Placing his cup down onto the table, he looked over at his friend whose cheeks were turning pink and rosy. "Lan Zhan," Wei Ying smiled, "How are you feeling?" Lan Zhan's eyes were heavy, and his face was longer than normal. It wasn't because he was upset or mad, but the muscles in his face were completely relaxed. Groggily, Lan Zhan turned to look at Wei Ying and responded, "Good." Nodding and chuckling to himself, Wei Ying said, "I think you are drunk again, my friend. You are becoming as bad as me." Opening and closing his mouth, Lan Zhan realized it had become quite dry. Knowing his friend well, Wei Ying decided to take advantage of Lan Zhan's moderate temperament and ask him a few questions. "Lan Zhan. Why did you want me to come back, really?" Hardly able to keep his eyes open, Lan Zhan tried to focus on Wei-Ying, "I wanted you to be my vice general." Pensively, Wei Ying tried to come up with another question to ask, "Why were you so appalled at the fact that I wanted to share a bed with you?"

Burping and jumping in his seat, Lan Zhan began to sway slightly as he blinked his eyes, avoiding the question. Wei Ying had seemingly doubled himself. "It's not proper," he managed to mumble at the two Wei-Yings circling in front of him. Feeling flirtatious, Wei Ying asked, "Are you afraid you might like sleeping next to me?" Feeling sick, Lan Zhan's head began to bob on his shoulders as the room began to spin. Becoming aware of his friend's distress, Wei-Ying's face dropped, and he became worried, "Lan Zhan. Are you feeling alright?" Lan Zhan began to shake his head slowly. "Ugh!," Wei Ying nervously stuttered, "L-l-let me help you to bed. You should probably lie down. You are looking paler than usual." Rushing to his feet, Wei Ying grabbed onto Lan Zhan's arm and hoisted it over his shoulders. "Come, let me help you." The two men began to walk towards the bed. Keeping Lan Zhan upright was difficult because his legs were like limp noodles.

Carefully lowering Lan Zhan onto the bed, Wei Ying pushed a pillow under his head. Once Lan Zhan was settled, Wei Ying took the back of his hand and softly placed it on Lan Zhan's forehead, "You feel warm, Lan Zhan. How are you feeling? Do you want water?" Nodding slightly, Lan Zhan blinked up at the canopy over his bed. It was peculiar to him that Wei Ying always found some sort of excuse to touch his face. What was even stranger is that he enjoyed the comforting gesture. Wei Ying hopped up and grabbed a pitcher of water and a cup. Assisting Lan Zhan, he helped the cup to his lips and Lan Zhan began to drink. "Slowly," Wei Ying directed. Sitting and blankly staring at Wei-Ying, Lan Zhan rubbed his nose with the back of his forearm. Licking his lips, he looked right into Wei-Ying's eyes, "I'm glad you came back." Wei-Ying's eyes sparkled as he smiled back at his confidante.

Redirecting the conversation back to the sleeping arrangements, Wei Ying whined, "Lan Zhan

Redirecting the conversation back to the sleeping arrangements, Wei Ying whined, "Lan Zhan. I am still sleepy. Let me stay in bed with you tonight. It's so comfy." Wei-Ying's face turned into a devious smile, "I promise I will keep my hands to myself." Lan Zhan's top lip curled in annoyance to his friend's tenacity. "Lan Zhan!" Wei Ying protested. "It is not proper," Lan Zhan reiterated. "But Lan Zhan. How can we make it proper? I want to go to sleep," Wei Ying pouted. Sternly, Lan Zhan insisted, "Only couples sleep in the same bed. Or siblings." Tilting his head to the side, thinking, Wei Ying stated, "Lan Zhan. We are as good as brothers." Deciding that was reasonable logic, he persisted, "Lan Zhan. Move over!" Lan Zhan did not answer. Instead, he rolled over closer to the wall. Smiling in triumph, Wei Ying took the opportunity to snuggle under the blankets now that there was room for him. Furrowing his brow in a dissatisfied manner, Wei Ying clamored, "Lan Zhan!" Grumbling, Lan Zhan spoke, "What?" "Hmph," Wei Ying muttered. "Don't be mad at me. I think this is nice we are sleeping together. Like true brothers," he smiled to himself. Lan Zhan remained silent, but Wei Ying took that as agreement and happily shut his eyes and sleepily dozed off.

 Lan Zhan remained silent, but Wei Ying took that as agreement and happily shut his eyes and sleepily dozed off