003. Juniper

I was glad that there was something good about today.

Today was the first day of a new school, having moved away from my shithead, cheating father.

I was about as angsty as anyone could expect, but with the added, happy prospect that when I walked into my new school today, there would be someone I knew.

Someone I'd gotten to know over the summer.
He'd come along when I hadn't expected, had made me laugh in an instant, and we'd talked about alot of things.

I knew that he wouldn't be expecting me, as my parents had made their decision all of three days previous.

The school had begrudgingly accepted me, and I'd understood their grudge.

We hadn't exactly given them much notice.
But this was my dad's way of trying to show my mom that he still had some say of what I did, which school I went to.

I knew it was power play, it had been a power move.

I was a power play, a weapon to him.
A way to hurt my mom, even further.

My mom had known it too, but in her usual grace, she'd taken it, and had agreed without argument.

My dad had always seen my mom's grace as a weakness.

I saw it as revenge.

And the best revenge sometimes, was none at all.
Cutting your losses, moving out and on, with your head held high, was a smart move.

A graceful move, with dignity.

Something my dad mistook for weakness, like always.

He hadn't wanted the house, he was living with the woman he'd left us both for, but his surprise had been when my mother had said she hadn't wanted it either.

Instead, we were moving, because after all, we deserved a fresh start too.

And so what had been another example of power play, had backfired, and he'd had the unwanted pleasure and responsibility of selling the house, and sending my mom her share.

Her share that was a newly purchased three bedroom house, in Hawkins, Indiana.

And as I walked into Hawkins High, I took a deep breath, taking a leaf out of my gorgeous mother's book, head high, with confidence and dignity.

I signed in, went to my first class, introduced myself despite the awkwardness and disinterest of my peers, and had successfully survived English Lit.

Little did I know, that my day would turn south fast, come lunchtime.

**************************
Juno

I'd seen him the moment I'd walked into the dining hall.

He wasn't exactly hard to miss.

He was smiling, he looked happy and revved up like always, and like an eagerly loyal puppy, I migrated over to the table he was sitting at immediately.

"Hey." I said, as the table fell silent.

"Uhm, hey." He said, a little cold and distant, as he rose to his feet.