Chapter VII: Dreams

It hadn't been long since Diana had retired to her tent, mind buzzing with thoughts of her conversation with Karlach earlier in the evening. Before anything, she had cast a minor spell to keep the small space heated through the night - gods know she would never live it down if she fell ill to such a thing as a common cold, especially as such a gifted sorcerer. Quickly, she changed into what she had that could pass for comfortable night clothes while still being warm enough to keep out the chill; a long nightshirt and thick black leggings, topped off with the thickest woolen socks she owned. She had settled into her bedroll, piling her few spare blankets around her and before she closed her eyes. Belly full and body spent from the events of the day, she slipped under the surface of night and deep into sleep. Inky blackness shrouded her mind with the final image of her and Karlach's hands intertwined - a mirror of the thought that the barbarian had channeled, assumingly by accident, through to her after their time together.

As she drifted further, she found herself walking through a familiar garden. Sprays of every single wildflower species she could think of enveloped the entire space in bright showers of color and life. A lump formed in her throat as she pushed open the short wooden gate, birds sang as she followed the cobblestone path that she could have made her way through blindfolded, she had walked it so many times before.

Laughter.

Her breath caught at the overwhelming sense of joy at the sound of her mother's laughter, followed shortly after by a much lighter cadence; her little sister, born after they had fled the first circle of hell and had never known the horrors of what happened there. She was five.

Tears blurred Diana's vision just as she was about to grip the handle of the little cottage that her family inhabited - both elated and terrified at what she would find inside.

"There you are."

Diana blinked at the sound of a voice that was not associated with her lost home. The wildflowers, birdsong, and laughter vanished as quickly as it had appeared as she turned around, following the direction of the voice.

Gale stood a few steps away, beckoning her to come forward with a boyish smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. A breath ago, it was a beautiful spring day full of light and color, and now they were standing just outside of the glade not far from where they had made camp. Despite having gone to bed with it still snowing outside, it was warm and almost balmy in the glade now. Fireflies danced in the open air under the moonlight that bathed the clearing in a soft glow - the chirping of frogs singing close to the nearby creek.

Gale's smile faltered as he registered the redness of her eyes from the hot tears that threatened to spill free and he quickly closed the distance between them. Reaching up to cup her cheek, he searched her face for answers with concern alight in his eyes.

"Diana, what's wrong?"

She gulped, trying to swallow the lump lodged in her throat and shook her head as if clearing the thoughts like cobwebs in her mind.

"Nothing! In fact, I am rather happy to see you." she replied, forcing a practiced smile on her face even as the words that she spoke were the truth. She was relieved that he had stopped her before she walked into what she knew was likely going to turn into a nightmare. It had been such a long time since she had dreamt of her family, however nearly every time it always ended in terror and heartbreak. The brief thought of these nightmares likely being induced by the increased combat flitted through her mind, the logical thought comforting her in its own way.

Gale's brows were knit together in thought as he continued to study her features, which gave her the sinking feeling that he could see all too much of the dark memories threatening to nip at the edges of her thoughts. His gaze softened as if he had seen all that he needed to and he dropped his hand, his easy smile once again gracing his features.