Chapter 59: Ash and Earth

October 11, 4021 12:29 [Lahab Mutajamid Desert]

Temujin coughed dryly, the ash floating in the air acting as an irritant in his lungs. He pulled a ventilator mask from his suit's waist belt, placing it over his mouth and nose. Breathing a sigh of relief, he addressed the man standing before him. "Rahman of Levante is dead. You were unwise to ally yourself with such a king."

"My people have known peace under my rule. Our treatise with Levante has provided us with mutual benefit for many years. If we are to perish by the side of our dear comrades and friends, so be it," said the man, his stygian armor as dark as coal and the edge of his garb smoldering embers.

Temujin stared warily at the man's mask, the dragon's head made from onyx and the eyes and horns shaped from malachite. There was not a hint of anger behind his words. The man bore no ill will towards them, even after coming to know of Rahman's demise.

"In life and in death, you will think only of your people," Temujin remarked.

A slight chuckle escaped the lips of Baldwin of the Ashen Throne. "Am I so transparent for you to read me with such ease?"

"Good men all have the same weakness," Temujin stated gravely.

"I wonder why it is you think that way."

"Why do I think in what way?"

"That love for one's people is a weakness," Baldwin remarked.

"Don't misunderstand me. I think it's commendable for you to harbor such feelings for this land—your kingdom. You have a strong sense of honor. Duty-bound you may appear, but that is not a chain for you, is it? It only strengthens your connection to your subjects. Why else would they fight with such vigor and resolve?" Temujin replied.

Baldwin shook his head. "My kingdom is my people. I have little love for this land, that which we share with Levante and the island dwellers of Makarios. Wherever we—the children of Adamah—go is where our kingdom resides."

"Why not go elsewhere then? If what you say is true, then your people needn't fight."

"Were it so simple, we would have left ages ago," Baldwin sighed wistfully. "Practically speaking, where would we go? All other lands are occupied. Even if we did seek refuge, resources are dwindling everywhere. Our only options are to stay and protect our meager supply or take our chances across the ocean. You understand, don't you? I will not have my people journey to the Western Continent, only to succumb to the unknown."

Temujin nodded, closing his eyes. He listened to the wind blow past him, a steady gale carrying harsh sands and ashen remains.

"Then we are at an impasse," he stated.

"It seems we are," Baldwin replied sadly.

The two shared a moment of quiet. Where Hart was quick to denigrate his enemies, Temujin was careful in his evaluation. Had the circumstances allowed it—had they been different, perhaps their dispute could have been resolved peacefully.

The Hyena grimaced. He shook his head; mulling over the what-ifs would do nothing to allay his reservations. The situation was what it was. There was no use in worrying about outcomes out of his control. Temujin wished not to dwell on further ideas of conciliation. They would only serve to slow him down and dull his edge.

His mind went blank and he closed his heart. Pillars of black stone erupted from beneath the sands, converging on the king of Adamah.

Baldwin raised a hand, summoning ash from the sands. The black particles rose swiftly, coiling around the pillars of stone as they descended upon him. He enclosed his fist, causing the ash to tighten around the pillars and shatter them.