Chapter 61: Ambush in the Emerald Valley

October 11, 4021 22:02 [Sunken Forest]

“Fourth Division, Tortoise formation!” Indra barked, falling into place with his subordinates as they took defensive positions.

“All divisions, Diamond formation!” Tengri ordered over communications. The surrounding divisions quickly arranged themselves into tightly knit groups, their training allowing them to seamlessly slip into order despite the chaos.

The Homunculi created a protective barrier around their superiors, layering their shields while their rifles poked out of the gaps in-between. They took aim, shooting at the Yaksha descending into the valley. The creatures let out shrill shrieks as they brandished their weapons, a murderous glint in their eyes.

Arrows rained down upon the Yuèliàngian forces, picking off stragglers too slow to get behind cover. Indra’s eyes darted along the ridges of the valley looking for a means of escape. To his dismay, all points of exit were crawling with hordes of vicious Yaksha.

A storm of bullets and arrows crossed paths, the projectiles shredding their targets like paper. Traits ran wild on the battlefield, met with an equally ferocious array of gilded weaponry fashioned from the bounties of the forest and ancient metal, the likes of which Indra had never seen.

“What do you plan on doing, Indra?” Usha asked, unperturbed by the slaughter.

We’re surrounded and outnumbered. Indra noted, stating the obvious.

“The Yaksha are formidable, though their might lies in the strength of their collective.”

So what? You want me to break them apart? Easier said than done. Indra scoffed.

“Cause enough chaos and some will second-guess their decision. If they are not united as one, they will falter. Then, we shall slay them one by one,” Usha growled with delight.

Indra bit his lip, mulling over Usha’s advice. “Garou! Kuvira!” he called out. “Extend outward! Join with the Fifth and Sixth! Execute Line Saturation!”

They nodded curtly, peeling off from the main group and taking a number of soldiers with them to form a line, merging the flanking divisions with Indra’s. The Commander of the Fourth Division took flight, dark wings flapping powerfully.

He soared above the carnage, just in time to witness the dispersal of the Traitless vanguard as they attempted in vain to stave off the initial wave of Yaksha. They fought valiantly, though they were quickly cut down to size.

Yaksha continued to surge over the peak of the valley, clashing with the powerless soldiers. Their emerald coats darkened and became matted from wounds received and dealt.

The creatures tore into the flesh of their enemies with ease, biting at their throats and disemboweling them with razor-sharp claws. The verdant foliage of the forest turned a dark shade of crimson as the plants were watered with the blood of the fallen.

Tengri hailed a storm of ultramarine energy onto the oncoming forces. He sniped the Yaksha with pinpoint accuracy, taking great care to avoid his men in the process.

Grisha, on the other hand, employed a different albeit similarly effective strategy. Enshrouding her body in prismatic energy, she warped her figure into what could only be described as an abstract painting given form.

The Commander of the Second Division tore through companies of Yaksha with ease, ripping through their gilded armor with a fervent smile. She had a wild look in her eyes as she let go of her inhibitions, giving in to her bloodlust, becoming a violent maelstrom of abstraction.

Fractal prisms of color bloomed around the valley, marking Grisha’s path of destruction. Despite her manic state, she continued to relay orders to her division in perfect harmony with Tengri, adjusting their formation in response to the First Division.