Your Love Is My Drug

"She's going to murder you once she finds out about this."

"Oh lighten up. I can always get you to rein her in."

"Who says I will?"

"Oh, please – I'm too awesome for you to let me die. You would miss me too much."

"Whatever helps you sleep at night..."

"I'm hurt. Okay now shut up – she's waking up!"

Michelle groaned; it felt like there was a desert in her throat. Her head was throbbing and the annoying beeping sound in the background was not helping. She slowly opened her eyes and blinked rapidly against the harsh light.

She brought her hand up to rub at her eyes, but it was caught in a bundle of different wires. Michelle frowned.

Where am I?

Michelle looked up from the white blanket she was laying under to take in her surroundings. The first thing she saw was the large window overlooking the city; the sun was beginning to set behind the tall buildings, spilling colors across the sky. Then Michelle noticed various machines around her.

Oh. I'm in the hospital.

Why am I in the hospital?

She groggily turned her head to the left and saw a girl with dark brown hair, a phone in her hand, and a large grin on her face. Michelle didn't know her, but she frowned deeper in suspicion.

"We need to work on your pouting game, Dee. But please tell the audience at home – how high are you right now?" The girl asked her through a laugh and a wink.

Michelle blinked.

She wasn't high (I don't think I am, it's been a long time since high school...) – she was just tired.

And confused.

Michelle opened her mouth to reply but couldn't find her voice because her throat was so dry.

Suddenly there was a soft pressure on her right arm so she flopped her head in that direction.

Michelle felt her jaw drop with a quiet gasp.

I am not in the hospital. I died and I am in heaven.

In front of her was an angel. She had the most captivating eyes and a soft and adoring smile on her perfect face.

Holy shit.

The other girl gave a laugh and Michelle could hear the other stranger who called her Dee laughing as well.

"Here, Michelle, drink this," the angel said to Michelle, gently placing a cup in front of her. Michelle clumsily took the straw and drank the cold water that felt like the best fucking thing against her sandpaper-like throat.

She never once looked away from the stranger in fear she would disappear if she did.

Maybe I'm in a desert and she's a mirage.

"Oh my fucking god I cannot believe this – look at those heart eyes, Ann!"

"Kate, honestly, she just came out of surgery and anesthesia isn't fun to wake up from."

"Well I beg to differ; I'm having fun and it just started."

Michelle was finally done drinking and pulled away from the straw. Ann smiled at her and placed the cup on the table beside her.

"Ann?" Michelle's voice was rough, but she liked the way the other girl's name sounded.

"Hey, babe. How're you feeling? You got out of surgery about an hour ago. Everything went well and you're going to be just fine. You just have three tiny scars on your belly now, but your appendix won't be bothering you again. Because it's, you know, gone."