Let's Go See the Stars

credits to @/idlephantasms on ao3

_____

"Unnie, do you like stars?" Winter asked, her eyes directed at the nighttime sky above them.

Karina's finger that was about to pop open her can of soda stopped midway, her eyebrow raised at her companion's sudden question.

"Why are you asking all of a sudden?" She asked back, continuing on her quest to downing her drink.

Winter shook her head. "Just a passing thought."

The two of them were on another of their late-night "walks", in which one of them spontaneously asks the other if they want to ditch the messy dorm in the wee hours of the night and stay out just talking while munching on convenience store food up until the break of dawn. As per protocol, they texted their manager to alert them that they stepped outside for a moment. It was one of the few things the two of them enjoyed the most as it gave them a semblance of living a normal life, away from the limelight and the scrutiny of cameras.

"Well, to answer your question," Karina started. "Yes, I do like stars. I mean, is there anyone who doesn't like stars when they're one of the prettiest things the universe offers you?"

She heard Winter chuckle. "Of course! Stars are really beautiful."

Not as beautiful as you. Karina silently thought, biting into her corndog.

"It would be nice to see all of them though," Winter continued. "Living in the city only lets you see a few of them."

The older girl nodded. "That's true. Light pollution sucks."

Winter gave a soft laugh this time, the dimples beneath her eyes showing, and even Karina couldn't help but grin.

"It'd be nice to go stargazing sometime," Winter said. "Somewhere quiet and nice."

"And dark," Karina added, a sly tone in her voice. "Are you good with the dark, Winter-yah?"

"Are you?" Winter challenged back.

Karina just frowned at her, realizing she lost to that one.

"Well, if we went together then maybe we wouldn't be scared of the dark," Karina said.

"Mhmm, we'll have someone to keep in check from suddenly screaming or something," she snickered.

Winter gave a wistful sigh, her eyes still watching the sky.

"Not anytime soon, though."

Karina gave her a light pat on the head, against the black cap she wore as part of her disguise against public recognition. It couldn't be helped; their occupation as public figures demanded most of their time that amidst one busy day after another, they wouldn't realize they would wake up to a free day.

"We'll get there someday," Karina told her.

Winter gave her a nod, somehow already looking forward to whatever that someday will be.

What she didn't know was that her companion's mind was already running a mile a minute making plans for a day she didn't know when would come yet.

_____

Karina was out with Giselle a few weeks later, driving themselves to a place they'd never been before. It was fortunate that their schedules for the day ended early, so they had ample time to go somewhere they had been secretly discussing with each other behind the closed door of their room. Of course, they didn't go out without asking for permission from the necessary people.