On Your Wedding Day

credits to @/ourjoohyunon ao3

_____

Sipping her coffee, Jimin watches her coworkers from the break room window. The office is quiet today, at least quieter than usual. It's a small firm, just her and some others, but her job in the design department satisfies her creative needs.

"Hey, Ji!" Someone calls. It's Giselle, the girl from Marketing who joined the company at the same time as her. They've become close over time, being the same age and having common interests.

"Hey Giselle, want a cup?" She offers. She knows the girl would much prefer some bubble tea, but it's worth asking.

"No thanks, actually I've got some news!" Giselle admits. She grins from ear to ear, which Jimin doesn't miss.

"Winter and I are getting married this spring and I want you to be there!" She announces excitedly, handing Jimin an enveloped invitation. She can't say she's not surprised since they haven't been dating for long, but nonetheless, she's happy for them. No wonder Giselle's chirpier today.

Engulfing the shorter girl in a hug, Jimin congratulates her, "Hey congratulations! I'm so happy for you two, it'll be lovely in spring." They gush over the thought and for a split second she wishes she had a partner to experience this with herself.

"Right! It'll be outdoors so of course there'll be flowers everywhere..." Giselle raves passionately as Jimin opens the invitation.

"Wow..." Just like everything in Giselle's life, the invitation is beautiful and intricately designed. Inside the silver envelope is a white and purple card, adorned with lilac flowers and silver accents. Jimin's praise earns a shy smile from the friend, who excuses herself to get a glass of water.

Having studied the design for long enough, she finally gets to the text. "Kindly join us for the wedding of Uchinaga Aeri and Kim Minjeong," it reads.

Kim Minjeong? She's surprised to see that name, she hasn't heard it in a while.

It's the name of her first love.

Although there are no more lingering feelings, hearing the name still stings and brings back memories she'd pushed away. But she isn't the only 'Kim Minjeong' in this world. Maybe Giselle's one is a different 'Kim Minjeong,' she wonders, unsure why she's even trying to convince herself.

"Minjeong?" she voices, hoping for an explanation.

"Mm, her birth name is Kim Minjeong, but she goes by Winter. Like how I go by Giselle," the girl explains, not that it clarifies much. Why the sudden name change?

"Oh you've never met her, right? I'll show you a picture." Giselle pulls out her phone and shows Jimin the lock screen; a selfie of two girls. The one on the left is clearly Giselle and the one on the right is, surprisingly, clearly her Minjeong.

After all those years, this is how Minjeong has been living her life it seems. And now Jimin is encountering her once again in the most coincidental of ways.

***

Ignoring the cramp in her legs, Jimin rushes up the stairs and through the corridor. It's her first time being sent to detention and she's somehow got lost, at risk of another detention. Finally arriving at the right room, she slams the door open and apologizes profusely through rushed breaths.

"Calm down, you're okay! Take a seat," dismisses the unfamiliar teacher. Looking up, she's surprised to see that detention is busy today with almost every seat filled.