9

After Maelys was led away for her bath, Viserys lingered in the Dragonpit, his expression tense. He turned to newly arrived Daemon, who had been waiting with a relaxed posture but a puzzled look on his face.

"Did you know?" Viserys asked, his voice a mix of disbelief and frustration.

Daemon frowned, clearly confused. "Know what?"

Viserys let out a sharp breath, his patience thinning. "The dragonkeepers found her in the Dragonpit. Maelys, your daughter. She was trying to approach one of the wild dragons. They locked her up thinking she was some kind of intruder."

Daemon's brow furrowed. "They locked her up? In the Pit?"

"Yes," Viserys said, irritation rising. "Apparently, she was drawn to the cries of the wild dragon in the depths of the pit. They thought she was a dragonseed or worse, someone trying to steal a dragon."

Daemon's confusion turned to a quiet fury. "I had no idea. She was supposed to be resting."

"You need to be more aware of her, Daemon," Viserys warned. "This isn't Dragonstone. You can't let her roam wherever she pleases here in King's Landing. The city is full of people who wouldn't hesitate to harm her."

Daemon's expression darkened with guilt as he realized the severity of the situation. "I didn't think—she's never acted this way before. The dragons must have called to her."

"The dragons call to many," Viserys replied sternly. "But that doesn't excuse the danger she put herself in. The wild dragons aren't like Caraxes or the others. They aren't tamed. She could've been killed."

Daemon clenched his fists, realizing how close Maelys had come to serious harm. "I'll speak with her. I'll make sure she understands the risks. I won't let this happen again."

Viserys nodded, though the tension between them hadn't fully eased. "See that you do. For her sake and yours. She may be strong, but she's still young. She needs guidance."

Daemon's jaw tightened. "I'll take care of it." With that, Viserys gave his brother one last glance before dismissing the issue, for now.

Maelys sat on the edge of her bed, her mind racing with thoughts and emotions. The warm water from the bath still lingered on her skin, but the heat of the wild dragon's presence had not yet left her. Her heart beat loudly in her chest, each thump echoing the call she felt resonating deep within her. She looked around her chambers, a small, cozy room filled with simple furnishings, yet it felt like a prison now. The soft candlelight flickered against the stone walls, casting shadows that danced like the dragons she had seen.

When Daemon entered, the atmosphere shifted. His presence was powerful, and even though she felt a bond with him as her guardian, she was still frustrated with how the day had unfolded. She kept her gaze on the ground, refusing to meet his eyes. She knew she had crossed a line, but the thrill of the dragon's call still coursed through her veins.

"Are you alright?" Daemon asked softly, concern etching lines across his forehead.

"I'm fine," Maelys replied, her tone defiant as she crossed her arms over her chest. "I don't need to be treated like a child."

Daemon felt a pang of guilt. He had hoped to protect her,like he promised to her father, yet here she was, hurt and confused. "I understand, but you need to realize the gravity of what you did."

"I heard it calling me," she insisted, her voice rising slightly. "I wanted to see it!"

Daemon stepped closer, trying to bridge the gap between them. "You must be careful. Not all dragons are friendly, and the wild ones can be unpredictable."