Chapter 9

Apparently, I could fall asleep.

I slept until the ship let out a blaring alarm to inform us of our impending launch from hyperspace. I jolted awake, sitting up straight and looking around. The Mandalorian that fell asleep beside me was nowhere to be found and neither was his armor. He probably anticipated me waking up to the alarm and didn't want to risk me seeing his face.

I quickly put my armor back on, brush out my hair, and make my way to the cockpit. As I suspected, we've dropped out of hyperspace and Din is sitting—covered in beskar, as usual—in the pilot's seat. Our last conversation doesn't sit right with me, so I impulsively wrap my arms around him from behind and rest my chin on his armored shoulder.

To my surprise, one of his hands reaches up and settles on my arm. "Sleep well?"

I hum a yes and slip into the seat beside him. Before me, the planet where I know the covert to be is looming ever closer. Bo's ship appears beside us and I sigh in relief. They made it.

"What is this place?" Bo's voice comes through the comms.

"I'm bringing you to a Mandalorian covert," Din says. "This is how we have survived in exile."

"I'm familiar," Bo replies.

"It's a secret location and the two of you are my guests." He nods toward me and I stiffly turn back to the glass as we sail over the planet's surface. We're almost there.

"They still live by the old ways," Bo says, full of disdain.

"Yes," he sounds like he wants to argue with her, but he doesn't. "It will go smoother if you keep your helmet on. Trust me."

Her scoff comes through the comms and I try not to cringe. "Of course."

As we land on the familiar strip of land before the lake, I notice right away that none of the Mandalorians are outside. I frown at the cave as we ease to the ground. Sand blooms up around the glass, momentarily blocking our vision. When it settles, I can see Paz Vizsla standing at the mouth of the cave.

"Here we go," I mutter. I climb out of the cockpit as Din powers down the ship. We both walk down the ramp together and I eagerly rush over to Grogu in his pram once Bo has exited her ship. He looks fine. If anything, he's immensely happy to see us. Din spares him a little nod before looking back at Paz as we all approach.

When we reach the cave, Paz saunters out to meet us. That's when I see the crowd of armed Mandalorians lingering behind him. Just waiting for his signal. He tilts his head, his hands clasped over his middle. I narrow my eyes at him. He won't make this easy, I can already tell.

"Come no further," he orders. He walks toward us, the Mandalorians moving with him, until we're mere feet from him.

I sigh, catching his attention. "Hello, Paz." Din looks over at me quickly as if he didn't expect me to speak. I shrug at him before looking back at Paz.

"Tara," he greets, nodding his helmet toward me. Then he looks back at Din. "You are an apostate, Din Djarin." I could laugh at his pettiness.

"No longer," Din says. "I have been to the mines of Mandalore."

Paz scoffs. "Impossible. The mines were collapsed in the Purge. The planet is cursed."

"These are lies meant to keep us in exile," Din says.

Paz's helmet tilts again, his voice taunting. "How do we know it is not you who is lying?"

"He speaks the truth," Bo says, taking a small step forward. "I was witness."

Paz turns to her. "And who are you, Nite Owl?"

"I am Bo Katan of Clan Kryze."

"Your house has fallen from the Way. You are both apostates," Paz says.