Chapter 8

Pyrite's sense of time was even worse than her insecurity. It was almost the eighth hour of the day by the time she saw the mountain Moon had drawn. "I see the mountain!"  She called, pointing towards an even more foggy area. 

"I don't see it." Kinkijou said, squatting her eyes "I can't see anything."

"That's because you're a Rainwing. SkyWings have much better vision than them so I can see it"

'Why do I so desperately want to slice her throat open?' Firelfy thought and Rainwatcher flew closer to her, just in case.

"I can't see anything either" Moon offered, but Nightwings could see things better than most dragons.

"Race you there!" Kinkijou yelped and the two dragons flew to a mountain peak that was just appearing. 

"Terribly undignified" Qibli said, making a 'I'm better than everyone' face

"Such higgledy-piggledy shenanigans" Firefly continued and Rainwatcher snorted, he was pretty sure he heard Moon and Kinkijou laugh from the peak of the mountain

"Would never be allowed in the Ice Kingdom" Qibli finished and Winter looked annnoyed.

"Did I miss a scroll?" Rainy asked "When were we finishing each other's sentences?

"Was that supposed to be me?" Winter asked "Terribly unimpressive if so."

They landed on top of the mountain peak, and landed down into the Vally where Kinkijou and Moon were flying down. 

"I haven't once said 'Higgledy-piggledy' in my entire life" Winter glared at Firelfy "we would never allow such linguistic imprecision in the ice kingdom."

Everyone burst into laughter-apart from Pyrite, who Rainwatcher was not sure he could classify her as someone-but something. She didn't think or act like a normal dragon. Could she have some sort of disease? Some sort of disorder? Firefly would probably figure it out, or Qibli, he was probably even smarter than her!  Qibli spotted something in the distance and they flew over to a ruin hut thing.

"Oh no!" Pyrite gasped "That's her majesty's scale! What if she got hurt? What if the-" She paused, looking anxiously at Rainwatcher and his sister. "The rainwing got to her? What if she's dead?"

"She's not dead, Pyrite" Firefly sighed, rolling her eyes "Theirs no venom marks, and no blood. She clearly was just angry and decided to destroy the hut."

Winter turned away, looking at the ground. Firefly saw this too and got mad, her scales turned red. 'Why is she mad?' Rainwatcher thought 'Winter didn't do anything wrong...' 

"Stop it. STOP!" Firefly yelled at Winter "I've seen that face everywhere. It's a sign someones giving up. We are closer than ever to finding Hailstorm. You are NOT allowed to mourn until you see a dead body."

"Hey," Qibli said "Since when did you become the smart one? That's supposed to be my job."

Firefly smirked "I can be pretty smart when I want to be, but, don't classify me as 'thee smart one' that's your role."

Rainwatcher suggested everyone should start getting food and making a fire. Firefly, Moon and Kinkijou went to get food, Qibli and Rainy made a fire, and Winter and Pyrite did nothing. Winter kept on looking at Pyrite, studying her like she was some scavenger.

"Hey, um, Pyrite?" Rainwatcher asked once the fire was done 

"EEEP!" She yelled "Oh, uhm, sorry! Yeah? What's the matter? Did you find Scarlet?"

Rainwatcher's talons scarped against the ground "Well, um, no. Did you dream about Scarlet last night?"

Winter's head immediately jolted up, giving Rainwatcher a look. 'No, I didn't see anything' He thought, but wanted Pyrite's answer first.

"Well, no. I had a dream about snow? That happens when I sleep next to Cirrus too-"

Moon, Firefly and Kinkijou had come back with the food, Firefly had a concerningly big boar in her mouth, Moon had a few rabbits, and Kinkijou brought some berries in her talons. "We have brought you all a feast, your majesties" Firefly joked and did a small bow, dropping the boar

"You shall be executed for taking too long!" Qibli pointed towards the lake "Us Queens have very important business to do!"

Firefly burst into laughter "HAH! You know, that actually happened at the queen meeting once.  God. Glacier decapitates dragons quick." Firefly paused, realising what she'd just said 'That was supposed to be a secret...' 

"Let's eat!" Kinkijou bounced over to the fire pit, still full of energy "Rainy, fruit?"

"Yeah- are those berries safe to eat?" Rainwatcher didn't know what was safe to eat and what wasn't, he never hunted or picked berries, Firefly would always get food for him 'Another thing: I would starve without Firefly' Rainwatcher added that to his mental list.

"Yes, the SPLENDIFFORIS BERRIES!" Kinkijou said proudly "I found them and NAMED THEM MYSELF! I got the idea from GlooooRRrrrYYYyyyy" '

Rainwatcher laughed. He couldn't tell wether she was joking or not, honestly, it was like that with everything Kinkijou said. He ate some of the berries and the boar's foot. 'Moon? Why can't I read their minds?'

'It's like a rock............' Moon's mind was blank again 'It's called skyfire and prevents mindreading.'

Rainwatcher stared at Moon strangely 'so not a long story. Can Firefly get one?'

Moon paused, looking at her talons 'Well, not now-'

"HAH! I WON!" Firefly yelled "GIVE ME ALL YOUR FOOD!"

Winter sighed, Rainwatcher saw a small creature stumble back, and another one flat on the ground. They weren't scavengers, they had weird antenna things, and shiny skin. "Firefly, are you gamamabling again?" Jambu asked

"It's called gambling, Jambu" Firefly rolled her eyes "And no, I'm betting."

"Which is the same thing" Qibli stated and Firefly whacked him with her wing.

Rainwatcher wanted to go to sleep early so he wouldn't be woken up by Kinkijou's 'Morning' song. Firefly agreed and the two siblings slept, Moon dreamt about her mother, and the majority of Rainwings either had dreams about the rainforest, or fruit.