Chapter 7 - Sarah

CHAPTER 7

Sarah

PRESENT

The sky is dim.  Pink and purple hues merge in unison as if they're expertly being directed by a world class conductor.  I may call Burbank my home, but Erica managed to scoop her up a cozy 3 bedroom in Glendale, which to my delight, is located just one city over.  I love her home.  It's classic California, with its arched entryways, shingle rooftops and exterior white stucco.  My feet are light on the pavement as Erica and I begin our sprint through her neighborhood. 

The air outside is cool this early September morning, but also perfect.  Summer may be ideal for swimming, but I love the promise of fall.  The time of year when the leaves start to turn such beautiful shades of red and burnt orange.  When neighbors start to decorate with pumpkins and make homemade apple cider.  I've got goosebumps just thinking about it.  Then again, maybe that's just the air.

All I'm wearing is a light jacket over my sports bra and some yoga high-rise leggings I happened to get on sale from Nordstrom.  Erica just got a silk press done, and when she straightens her hair, she makes sure to wear it off her neck with a sweat-wicking headband to save her locs from the dreaded frizz that goes along with sweating profusely. 

We decided on a morning run to clear the air.  And to clear our minds.  But really, it was to scold me, I'm sure.  I'm hoping I can distract her long enough to not even mention it.  But, this is Erica we're talking about and the girl just doesn't do subtle.  I've got one more weapon in my arsenal though.  I've begged her 6 ft 3 husband, Elijah, to join us this time.  Let the bucking and weaving begin.   

"C'mon Erica.  We're gonna get nowhere if you continue to drag your feet like this," I say, turning around to gloat at the straggler Elijah and I have left behind. 

Elijah is a film producer for an independent production company.  He has dark chocolate skin with such a precise haircut, it looks like he came straight from the barber shop.  He rocks a goatee and a smile that can light up a room.  Plus, he possesses a dimple that makes certain panties disintegrate, or so I've been told.  This girl can't keep a single thing to herself... and I secretly love it.  

Luckily Elijah is in excellent shape, just like me.  Back in the day, both Erica and I used to play basketball for Wayfall High.  But once college came around, we decided to give up the hoops and focus on what we called a real career.  Don't get me wrong.  I love what I do.  But something about starting a family at 18 puts life into perspective.  Did I ever think I'd be a WNBA legend like Diana Taurasi?  No.  Maybe?  In my wildest fantasies perhaps.  But what I got instead, my Patrick and my Violet, is better than winning any championship game to me.  Plus, taking up swimming instead is way better for these 30-something joints of mine.   

"C'mon suga.  Don't get left now," Elijah teases Erica with a grin.  Erica quickens her pace just enough to swat Elijah on the arm playfully. 

Jogging in place, I say, "We could've gone swimming you know."

"Girl, now you know better than that.  How many times have I told you a swim cap won't save this?" she points to her 'do.  "C'mon.  Let's get this over with," she says through elevated breaths.

I shake my head and laugh as she and Elijah take off.  My steps just a pace behind. 

"You're not getting out of this simply because my man is here," she calls over her shoulder to me.  And suddenly, my heart flutters.  And this flutter can't be blamed on aerobic activity. 

Damn, won't she just drop it?  Maybe I'm simply not ready yet.  A partnership?  And with my best friend?  That's major.  I've already permanently attached myself to my husband and children.  Now her?