Chapter Twenty Three

Before

Slowly Pando began to rebuild society. It wasn’t an easy thing to do, he had many difficulties in his first few months as he focused on healing the bloody humans. It didnt seem to matter how many times Pando blinked away the oozing sores, the former dead would always return in weeks with more open wounds. What was the point of even reviving these people if they were just going to pick at themselves until they decayed anyway "

"They're itchy," the small girl revealed after a particularly large crowd of festering followers had gathered outside his house. She was in her human form, balancing herself on the front porch railing. With her arms spread out, she walked on her tiptoes the length of the porch and back. Pando sighed as he sat down on the steps, weary from using his powers each and every day. Apparently there was no vacation days when it came to repairing the world. "Should I conjure up some anti-itch cream?" the demon asked sarcastically, tilting his head to look back at her. Her wild orange hair fell around her shoulders, obstructing her face as she concentrated on her feet.

The small girl smiled slightly behind her hair, her gaze still on her feet as she continued to pace. "I get itchy too," she confessed, not meeting his observing eyes. She could feel his attention on her and her cheeks burned. "Cats are always scratching themselves," Pando stated before looking away and down towards the street.The cat girl jumped down from the railing, landing on her feet in the grass. She stood in front of the demon boy with her hands clenched in tiny fists. A small smirk formed on Pando's face as he watched her, finding her attempt at a threatening pose amusing. "Maybe if they have fleas," she protested, slightly offended. Her long whiskers twitched as she scrunched her nose at him.

"Do you have fleas then?" Pando teased, chuckling as he leaned forward so he could be eye level with the small girl. She pouted slightly but couldn't resist smiling as the demon rested his elbows on his knees and smugly looked at her. "I'm serious," she said with a small smile. Pando's red eyes held her gaze. He found her stare hypnotic, her eyes glowing as she slightly stuck her bottom lip out.

As if by instinct, the cat girl reached her hand up and placed it on his cheek.  Her palm felt soft against the rough skin of his cheekbone. Pando shivered under her touch, a strange feeling passed over him. The girl was comforting in a way that made him feel like home. Her green eyes nearly sparkled as she spoke to the boy in a soft voice. Pando was mesmerized. Enchanted.

"My skin begins to itch when we are apart," the small girl whispered. He swallowed, trying to fight the rising heat in his body that suddenly started creeping into his cheeks. He coughed awkwardly and finally broke away from her captivity gaze, looking out past her and towards the street. "Why?" Pando asked, his throat dry.

"You're our savior," she walked forward, wrapping her arms around his shoulders and hugging him tightly. "If we are away from our lord then we suffer," the catgirl began to purr against his chest. Pando returned her hug, embracing her gently in his big arms. "Change it," the dark voice said as he kept his gaze trained on the street.

And so he had! Pando gathered as many of his followers as he could and one by one he blinked. Their relentless itch had been transformed to a soft, warm, fuzzy feeling. They suddenly felt as if they were...home. Pando sighed as they continued to follow him, now addicted to the sense of warmth the demon boy emitted. He spent the rest of the night flying through his street, blinking every ransacked house and overgrown lawn back into pristine condition. He allowed his devoted followers to live in the homes surrounding him, close enough to get their kick. Pando rolled his eyes as the stalkers praised him, bowing down at his feet as if he were some god. "Control it," the dark voice shouted.

"If you want to stay here then you contribute," Pando sternly ordered, his red eyes looking down at his mesmerized worshippers. The followers were on their knees, hands reaching towards him. They stared upon their leader with wide eyes, feeling the love pouring into their skin.They would do anything for him.

"You're changing the world," a small voice called, causing Pando to seek out the source. His eyes landed on a tiny kitten walking up to him and rubbing her head against his leg. The demon boy slowly bent down and scooped her up in one hand before gently placing her on his shoulder. "You're our only hope," the kitten nuzzled her tiny head against Pando's neck as she purred into his ear. "Use it," the dark voice said.

Pando swallowed nervously before staring down at his adoring fans, ordering them to get to work.