twelve

Chapter 12: All About You

The sound of silverware stabbing against the porcelain plates and the quiet, yet loud chatters of people's conversations filled your senses. You sat at a table alone, the red table cloth covering your legs, overlapping the usual [color] gown you wear to special party events.

You stared down at the food before you, half eaten. A fork in one hand, a knife in the other.

Celebrating parties in the fatui never brought any significance to you. It was all the same: everyone wore their best dresses and suits, a mask complimenting their looks as they spread misinformation about each other, wondering when the next fight would come. Everyone wanted to prove themselves superior than others by the way they dress, talk, and eat. Whatever it took to get to the top, to get where you wanted. Even if it meant killing someone.

"Eating alone? I thought you said you were going to be more social."

A woman's deep voice suddenly caught your attention. The empty chair next to you was pulled out and a lady wearing a black and white dress sat beside you, her blonde hair resting on her shoulder. She wore makeup, looked heavy but complimented her looks well. Red lipstick painted her entire personality, her black gloved hands motioning to the plate before her which she had just realized that was empty.

You looked up to her, a pained expression on your face. The lady couldn't tell if you were upset you had to come along with her or if you were sad. But when were you ever sad?

"Signora.." You whispered, frowning. You felt your shoulders slump, ignoring that the sleeve of your dress was falling off your shoulder.

"My dear, stop giving me that look." Signora reached over to your dress and fixed your sleeve, then patting down the rest of your dress. "Something seems to be bothering you. It's okay, just last in a few more minutes and we'll leave."

You stared down at your plate. "No, it's not that."

Signora retracted her hands from you, placing them on her lap.

"It's the Balladeer, is it not?" Signora questioned.

You remaking quiet, unsure of what to say. The lady had always been able to read how you feel after only exchanging a few words.

Signora sighed in response, seating herself in her seat properly as she waved to a waiter to get her a dish prepared.

"That boy is always playing around with you. I honestly don't know how he crawled up our ranks." Signora placed her hand under your chin and forced you to look at her. She waved a finger up at you. "Don't ever believe what that boy says. If anything, the only people you can trust is me."

"But what if you are gone?" You ask through your squished cheeks.

Signora gave a scowl, a name popping up in her head that she did not much like. "Ugh, you-know-who else. But, who said I'll ever leave you, hm? You're stupid for thinking that!" Signora let go of your cheek and folded her arms, clicking her tongue.

Your gaze turned back to your food, an expression different this time. You continued to eat your food, the thought that once lingered in your mind suddenly disappeared, leaving no weight on your shoulders.

Signora smiled slightly. "Good, good. eat your food. You wouldn't look so starve-ish without me."

You woke up to the ceiling of your bedroom, eyes blank. Your body felt stiff as you rose from your bedding despite the mattress being of top quality. Maybe it was just you.