Unlocked Paperback- Linh's POV

Hi again, Keeper readers!

SURPRISE!

The story you're about to read is a special bonus scene that I wrote exclusively for the paperback of Unlocked Book 8.5. (so yes, that means this story isn't in the hardcovers.) I wanted to add something extra for my paperback readers, since hardcovers always get all the attention.

(Plus, who doesn't want a little more of the Keeper crew?)

This scene features Linh, Marella, Maruca, and Stina and gives a little insight into what they were up to while Sophie and Keefe were dealing with their own struggles in Unlocked's main novella-and yes, there will definitely be more about this in Keeper #9!

So, think of this story as a tiny taste of what's to come, as well as a closer glimpse of four fan-favorite characters. It's told from Linh's POV, which was such a joy to explore, and I hope it's as much fun for you to read as it was for me to write!

Happy reading!

xo- Shannon Messenger

Trust Issues

Linh

"Is it me, or is your hair extra silvery today?" Marella asked as she thrust her arms out and snapped her fingers to ignite long threads of searing red and blue flames, which she quickly wove into a floating purple fireball as big as her head.

She nodded smugly at her creation-until it turned white-hot and started to spin. And no matter what command Marella shouted, she couldn't stop the flames from untangling and lashing out toward her friends.

Maruca shielded herself behind a force field.

Stina dived behind a cluster of rocks.

But Linh didn't blink as the fire whipped closer. She just flicked her hand in a smaller arc, making a wave curl off the shore and drown the inferno in puffs of shimmering mist.

"My mother gave me a set of hair combs yesterday," she told Marella, trailing her fingers through the strands framing her face, which were now silver from root to end. "She claimed she saw them and thought of me. But I know she was hoping I'd use them to pull my hair back and look 'normal' from the front. So I melted down the combs and added some additional metal highlights."

Maruca whistled as her dome of glowing energy blinked away. "Wow. My mom gave me the side-eye for days after I added this." She pointed to the single blue dreadlock twisted among her other brown ones. "Did your parents freak out when they saw?"

"Oh, I'm sure they're seething right now. But they pretended not to notice. They're good at avoiding confrontation." Linh glanced over her shoulder at Choralmere's elaborate mansion, where her mother had surely locked herself in her studio and was now furiously painting another portrait of her children with plain black hair.

"Well, that's one thing you and your parents have in common," Stina called as she stood, dusting sand off her tunic. "Oh please, spare me the confused eyebrow scrunch. I'm an Empath, remember? I've been picking up on all that bitter fury you keep trying to bury behind half smiles and dodged questions. Plus, you're hiding out at your parents' house-which we all know you hate-instead of going back to Solreef and smacking some sense into your brother."

"She has a point," Marella admitted. "Come on, Linh-we spent weeks plotting ways to get Tam away from the Neverseen. And now that he's back, you're pretending he doesn't exist."

"You won't even answer his hails," Maruca added.

"Can we also talk about the doom and gloom following you around?" Stina asked, pointing at something above Linh's head.