Chapter 53

"Alright, got toiletries, now on to clothes. It's probably fine if I wear these same jeans for a few days, right?" Emily says as they walk the aisles of a big-box store.

"That's up to you."

"Hmm. It will take too long to try stuff on, so I'll skip it for now. This is cute." She pulls a dress off the rack and puts her head through the gap between the straps and the hanger. "What do you think?"

"It's up to you."

"I'll get it, that way I'll have something to wear if I get my pants dirty. How about this shirt?" She holds one up to her neck.

"It's up to you."

"There was a time when you were helpful to me while I shopped. You know I find it difficult to decide on clothes."

"I guess I got used to shopping with an independent, confident woman."

"Oohh." Emily makes a 'now I get it' face.

"What's that response?"

"Weeelll, I'll just say this, maybe your confident woman needs a little of your help when it comes to clothes shopping. You've always had a good eye, but Honey... not so much. Not that it's her fault of course. She's spent the majority of her life wearing school uniforms."

"I like her sense of style. You're very... California and she's got more of a--" He manages to catch himself before saying 'Korean,' "a foreign fashion influence."

"Hm." Emily shrugs. "Two shirts, one dress, toiletries, last stop is across the aisle."

Liam glances over in that direction. "I'll wait over here for you with the cart."

"What's the matter Will? Are you scared? Afraid that if you see what lingerie I buy, you won't be able to stop picturing me in it?" she teases flirtily.

He rolls his eyes and repeats himself. "I'll wait over here for you with the cart."

She doesn't let the distance stop her from carrying on their conversation, she just increases her volume. "I wonder when the last time we went shopping together was."

"We weren't together very long, so it isn't hard to guess the window."

"I only ask, because I'm pretty sure we were buying lingerie then, too. I wonder if I still have it? Do you recall what we bought that day? I'm pretty sure there was a red lace nightie and thong. But I think I left those behind at your apartment."

"You didn't leave anything behind."

"I didn't? Oh then I wonder what happened to it. Anyway, they don't have any thirty-two Ds so I need to try on a couple of these thirty-fours to see if I can get them tight enough around my ribs to be supportive. Sorry, I'll try to be quick." Emily returns to Liam's side and drops a selection of lacey underwear into the shopping cart.

Liam didn't want to think about it, but the memories had already been triggered. He did remember taking her shopping for underwear and bras, but back then she wore a thirty-two B. As he's waiting on her, he finds himself wondering if she had a growth spurt or got plastic surgery.

"Hi, we're checking in. One reservation under Emily Smith and one under William Bennet." Emily smiles at the receptionist.

"Here you are, I just need to see the cards that you booked the rooms with, please." The young man smiles back at them.

"Well, you can see mine, but I need to switch the method of payment." She glances uncomfortably at Liam. "They'll both be on his card."

"Sure, no problem."