Chapter 17.

Emerson's POV

Reece had instructed us all to dress nicely for dinner tonight. The family was all leaving soon so they wanted to get one nice dinner in. 

I was dressed in plain back slacks and a white button-up according to Griffin this would be acceptable for dinner. We left the house quickly after everyone was dressed. Reece drove us to the restaurant and most of us stayed silent in the car. 

We pulled up in front of the restaurant with the warm glow sign 'Paradise'  Reece handed the car keys to the valet before leading us all inside. We ended up walking in age order minus Atlas who was meeting us here. 

Reece led us to a table in the very back of the room. We were the first ones there. Reece sat at the head of the table and we all scattered around the table. I sat between Blaine and Reece, not wanting to sit next to the other family members. My talking early was a moment of weakness and distraction. 

Reece had us order our drinks and food but instructed the kitchen to not make our food until the rest got here, they were apparently on their way. 

I ordered a soda like Saint and Griffin while the others got some sort of alcohol. Don't ask why Blaine was allowed some, I choose to not ask questions regarding him anymore. 

Soon enough Atlas and Veronica came in, Atlas sat next to the other side Reece with Veronica on his side. Grandpa and Elijah's family showed up next. Once Elijah got there he asked the waiter to bring us two highchairs. 

One of the high chairs was sat next to Blaine and the other was sat two chairs away from us. Guess Matthew and Claire are sitting there with the girls. We sit there while some of the others talk in light conversation. Blaine and I sit there in silence waiting for this night to be over. 

After the disappointing day at school, the last thing I wanted was to be stuck in a restaurant with a hundred people all waiting for me to talk. 

"Emerson, who is your partner?" Griffin suddenly asks me. He's sitting a few chairs down from me leaning back in his chair to see me. 

I pull out my phone and go to the notes app, typing out Valencia's name. I show him my phone, and he nods. 

"I think I've seen her in the hall. She seems sweet, quiet though." He nods. 

"Who is it?" Saint asks him. 

"Valencia Reyes, quiet girl. She's friends with that Marcus kid. Different colored eyes." Griffin tells her.  Spot on description. It wasn't until the other day when I caught a glance at her I saw her mismatched eyes. One blue one green. They were unique and pretty. I noticed she avoided looking at people and barely talked. 

They go back to their own conversations until the rest of the family shows up. The family all sit down, Claire puts one of the girls next to Blaine. The little girl sits in her highchair drinking apple juice from a sippy cup looking at Blaine. 

After a few minutes of talking and everyone reading the menu, the waiter comes and takes everyone's order telling us that in 40 minutes we should have our food. 

"Stop it," Blaine says from beside me. I look up from my phone to see him glaring at the toddler next to him. 

"Quite looking at me." He tells her. Blaine and the girl continue to look at each other. Blaine glares at her, while she smiles at him waving her chubby hand. 

"Hi," She says. She looks around his body at me waving at me. "Hi."

I wave back smiling at the little girl. 

"Which one are you?" Blaine asks the girl. 

"Peyton." She tilts her head to the side. 

"Well, Peyton look at someone else." He tells her. 

"No, Blany." She shakes her head still smiling at him. He ignores her and the nickname and goes to his phone. "What doin'?" 

"Nothing." He grumbles out as I look back at my phone. I scroll on my phone until the waiter brings us our food. 

We all eat in silence until Peyton's little voice breaks it. 

"Bite?" She asks Blaine. 

"No, you have your own food." He points to her plate of spaghetti noodles. 

"Yours." She points to his plate of roast chicken and vegetables. 

"No." He slides his plate more towards mine to avoid her fingers. She lets go of getting his food and starts eating her noodles. We all go back to our food and a whispering of conversation starts up again. 

"Bite?"