Chapter 27.

Valencia's POV

Emerson has been weird lately. Griffin has told me that he used to talk to his brothers freely and now he doesn't say a word even if I'm not around. Maybe he's having a hard time adjusting to me living with them. 

"Val. Hello." A movement in front of my face finally draws my attention. I look towards Markus. 

"Sorry, what?" 

"I asked if you heard anything about your parents?" He asked me. I see Emerson tense up beside me. See weird. 

"No, they're just gone. Haven't heard anything." I tell him trying to sound a little upset. In truth, I couldn't care less about them leaving me. It was probably the best thing they've ever done for me. While not really the best situation living with the Stone family has given me the best opportunities ever. 

I have a safe place to sleep every night. No worry of anyone hurting me. Nothing. 

"That's crazy. They just up and left." 

"Yeah." I agree with him. Even after everything I haven't told him the real reason my parents left. Markus feels guilt about everything and the less amount I can give him the better. 

"Yeah, it's so crazy. The little freak's parents finally came to their senses." I tensed up and refused to turn around to face the mocking voice. I knew that voice. 

Brittany Herring. 

She's the 'It' girl. The girl with everything. Her dad's a fancy lawyer and can afford to buy her love. She has a new purse every day, she uses that instead of a backpack. She bribes her way out of any trouble she gets into. She is the stereotypical blonde, cheerleader with green eyes. 

I'll admit she is beautiful but her ugly personality erases all of that in my eyes. She has been my number-one bully since kindergarten. 

"Excuse me," James said not knowing the amount of power she holds in this school. One word and your face will be the new facing every disgusting rumor she makes up in her free time. One word and everyone will know you're darkest secrets true or not by the end of the week. You'll be a social pariah in record time.

"Oh, you're the new kid right?" She asks him with a clear interest in her tone. He nods from across me. "Okay. I'm going to be incredibly gracious and allow you one free chance to cross me since you clearly don't know anything but be more careful next time." She speaks to him slowly like he can't understand English acting like she is doing him a favor. 

"Anyway, it's incredible you're parents stayed around this long, Freak. If my kid came out looking like you I would have never even left the hospital with it." She fakes condolences before her tone brightens up and I can tell she's talking to one of her friends. " Hey, maybe that is what happened. Her real parents left her and replacement ones got tired of her too. You know it's only a matter of time before all your friends here leave you too. All alone like the little weirdo you are." 

I can hear her friends laugh with her. I keep my gaze on the table not wanting to let them see how their words affect me. I usually let them say their hateful words and wait there until they get bored and walk off before walking away to cry in the bathroom alone. 

"Shut up." A deep, raspy voice says beside me. I can't help but whip my head to the side towards Emerson. We all seem to freeze a little at hearing him. 

"Oh look guys the little mute boy can speak. It's a miracle. Did us offending your girlfriend cause you to finally grow some balls?" She asks not bothering to hide the anger in her tone. 

"I think you should really shut up and walk away," Emerson says keeping his voice even. 

"Or what?" She taunts him. 

"Nothing. Unlike you, I was taught manners and have an understanding of basic human decency." He stands up and moves towards her making more people around us look at us, everyone is shocked by the revelation of him speaking. "You come into this school acting like you own the place with designer clothes and a bitchy attitude. All those things make you think that you have some type of hold over everyone here when in reality you're nothing more than an insecure little girl whose daddy doesn't give her enough love. You put other people down to distract yourself from your own problems." Emerson stays standing in front of her. 

"You know nothing about me." She spits out clearly bothered. 

"No, but I know enough. When you don't talk you listen. I've gotten pretty good at it. I've heard the stories of you flashing off your money as you make it. I've even heard a little rumor about you sleeping with one of my brothers. You see even with all of Daddy's money you still remain low on the totem pole. Your only power is in this school. Hell, my dad makes more money an hour than yours does in a day. Isn't that something?" He shakes his head and sits back down going back to his lunch unbothered. 

Brittany does nothing but run away with small sobs following her. I look towards Emerson to see him eating and scrolling on his phone. 

"You just talked." Markus says like an idiot. 

Emerson only nods.