Start of Somethin' New!

"Akele mein has kyu raha hai?" Ishan's soft voice broke Shubman out of the trance he was in. "Bas yuhi. Tera hogaya?" "Hmm. Paani thanda ho jayega, jaldi ja. Naha le." Ishu sniffed the clothes laid out for him before putting them on - the scent of the sandalwood cologne the batsman used was still same, faded from the wash, but still stuck to the fabric. It calmed him, more than he would like to admit. Shubman was out of the shower within 15 fifteen minutes. "Bachcha bada ho gaya hai", he thought. "Shubi, jaake Aleya ko wapas laaye kya?" "Mereko do minutes de, mein bhi chalunga." 

They took Shubman's car and when they reached Tilak's apartment, they found it in a mess. Brevis opened the door, still covered in flour - his t shirt was more than 90% wet. "Saale kar kya raha tha be?" "The children wanted to make cookies. So, here I am! Trying to look over a man child and a child is a full time job, even more hectic than playing!" The three shared a good laugh over the joke, entering the apartment, just to see Tilak exiting the bathroom, a freshly bathed Aleya who was dressed in her spare clothes that Tilak always kept in his home. "Papa!" Ishan took the monster that tackled him in his arms. "Missed me, beta?" "Yup. I missed you." "Didn't you miss me?" Shubman faux pouted.

"Aleya missed ShuShu too." The South African cleaned himself up as Verma had already changed. Together the five of them shared the cookies Tilak and Aleya had cooked. "They are sooooo good!" Shubman moaned as he bit into the albeit a little burnt and sweet monstrosity. "See, DeDe bhaiya, meine bola tha. My cookie tastiest." The foriegner laughed wholeheartedly. He loved this child. " 'Leya," whined Tilak, "why does he get to be bhaiya when I am uncle?" "He is not old like you", she wrinkled her nose cutely. "He is just one year younger than me!" Ishan bonked him on the head, "Is he not younger? You're basically dating a minor!" "As if you were any bet..." 

A cookie was suddenly shoved in his mouth by Kishan who glared at him. Shubman seemed inclined to ask what he was talking about, but Aleya chose that very moment to yawn, diverting his attention successfully. Gill took her in his lap and brushed her hair off her face, "Baby, sleepy?" "Hmm." "It's time for her sleep." The clock showed 8 p.m. but Aleya had surely skipped her afternoon nap with these two. "Then we should leave, shouldn't we, Ishu?" "Abhi toh aaya hai. Abhi chala jayega?" Tilak asked. "Tere saath toh hamesha milta rehtahun. Aise bol raha hai ki aur kabhi nahi milenge!" Ishan complained. "Apne boyfriend ko sambhal bhai. He needs some time too", Shubi jabbed at him. The two of them got up from the couch they were seated at, Aleya already in her slumber in her soon-to-be-official father's arms. "Chalte hai." "Milte hai." While walking towards the lift, Shubi heard Brevis ask Verma, "Would you like a child of your own? You're so good with children." "Yes, if they are yours." Their door slammed close and if Ishan's snickering was to be considered an indication, he was thinking the same thing as Shubman. 

Ishan took over driving this time. Shubman was still carding his fingers through Aleya's locks, they were soft like Ishan's. It was then he asked, "Ek request karunga toh manega?" "Bol?" "Mereroommeinshifthoja!" "Dheere bol bhai, mein bullet train nahi hoon", the driver chuckled. "Mere room mein phir se shift hone ke kiye poochh raha hoon tujhe." "Tera dimaag toh thikane par hai na?" "Janta hu, ab tu aur Aleya package deal hai, aur mujhe iss baat ki khushi hai. Toh bol, room share karega?" Shubi had put him in a strange situation. After what had happened five years back, Ishan knew that he had forgiven his best friend whom he was hopelessly in love with, but what if history repeats itself? Choosing that very moment to look at Shubman had to be worst idea he ever had in his life.

The lad looked a moment away from bursting into tears. He looked crestfallen at the possibility that he might refuse him. Shubi added a desperate "please" for good measure and Ishan knew he was a goner. Those sinful lips with their words had led a tsunami in his life all those years back, but still his heart was too weak to refuse the temptation. "Hmm." He could swear the shine in those obsidian eyes blinded him for a moment. Shubman really did not know he was even capable of feeling so happy. What was that hormone called again? Yeah, dopamine coursed throughout his body as he cuddled the little girl in his lap closer and breathed in her soothing scent of baby products. Ishan led the car down a road he didn't know. "Kahan jaa rahe hai hum?" "Mera luggage nahi laana kya? Saari zindagi kya tere kapde hi pehnunga?" 

The other wanted to retaliate with, "Pehle toh tujhe mere kapde churane mein koi problem nahi thi!" But he stopped himself as he knew to take a win when he got it. The plan was to go slow and steady. Crawling fast could lead him having chaffed knees. Within an hour Aleya was settled on Shubman's bed - on the side facing the wall. Generally it was his own place, but didn't mind changing this time. "Brownies and ice cream?", he asked as Ishan changed into his nigh clothes. "Really? You are not kidding me?" "Sachchi. Order kardu?" "Wait kiska kar raha hain? De!" They sat on the bed, side by side with their knees touching and vanilla ice cream sandwiched between chocolate brownies. They had both decided to skip dinner, this midnight snack was enough filling for them. Shubman decided it was the most oppurtune time for his questions. "Tujhe often panic attacks aate hai?" "Trigger ho jao toh, aate hai." "Bhaiya ne aisa kya keh diya?" "Wahi boarding wali baat. Aleya meri jaan hai. Nahi ji sakta mein uske bina." 

Surprisingly Shubi did not feel bad for his nickname being used for someone else - rather she felt like family. "Tu self harm karta hai?" "Na-nahi toh." "Jhuth maat bol", he turned to face the elder man whose eyes were literally burning a hole through the brownie sandwich in his hands, "tere wrists pe woh marks kaise hai?" "Scratching se." Ishan took a deep breath before confessing, "Generally physical pain is helpful to divert panic attacks. Today's one was just more severe than other days." He was suddenly engulfed by two long hands that wrapped around him - warm and tight, but not suffocating. "Ek aur promise mangu toh gussa nahi karega?" "Agar karu bhi, toh tu kaha maan ne walo mein se hai?" Ishan joked, but stopped when he saw the dead seriousness on Shubman's face. "Tera best friend hu na mein." Ishu nodded. "Then let me help you from now on. Jab bhi triggered lage, toh mujhe batana." "Par tu distracted..." This time Shubman's half eaten sandwich was forced in his mouth. "Tu mera sabse bada inspiration hai, Ishu. Every moment I spent with you is most special. Tu mere kaavi ka laafz hai, mere andar ke shaayar ka ghazal hai, mere cricketer ka confidence hai." "Yeh pick up line kisse chori ki hai, bewakoof." "100% original hai. Achha nahi hai?" "Thik thak hai." "So you agree?" "Hmm," the response was punctuated by Ishan's brownie being shoved in his mouth. 

This semblance of normalcy was what both of them craving for the past five years and to their distressed souls, it was a dip in the Ganges.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Yeh chapter sweet tha, hai na? Mereko koi yeh brownie sandwich khilao!😭

Fluff likhna bohot difficult hai. Aur hamare Dora the Explorers ko agar jhapaad bhi lagao, toh bhi woh samne paade pyaar ko nahi dekh payenge. 

Yaha koi hai jo IPL mein RCB ko support kar raha hai? 

Mere dost saare kamine hai. Kisi ko RCB nahi pasand. I support MI too a little bit, only because Ishan is there. (✿◡‿◡)

Enjoy, Adiraj.