Chapter 9

Reader discretion: This chapter contains sexual descriptions. Please read with caution.

~~~

We were in Musomi, our nostalgia at an all-time high from the moment we'd settled into a luxury suite at the resort we'd spent an impromptu night in years ago after I'd taken Nella stargazing at the top of a hill nearby

I was buzzing from my early morning practice session at the KCCSC, excited to keep the love flowing between Nella and I as we revisited the birthplaces of our love, and hopeful about the game the Kitalo Blazers would be playing later tonight, right here in Musomi.

I lay in bed and turned on the large smart TV on the wall, immediately tuning it to a sports channel so I could watch footage of the build-up before the game started. I was watching short-form interviews of my teammates and Coach Limbi when Nella walked into the room, fully dressed and looking determined.

"Are you going somewhere?" I asked confusedly, muting the TV so we could talk without any distractions.

Nella took a few steps and sat on the edge of the bed. "Yes. You're coming, too. Come on, take a quick shower."

"What? Why?" I complained. "I just got comfortable. The game will start in a couple of hours."

"We'll be back before then."

"Nella, I was getting in the zone." I whined, sounding like the sports nerd she often laughed at when I was being exactly that, a sports nerd.

"Oh? Okay then." Nella said, her tone indicating that something shady would soon follow. "I thought this trip was about us. I guess I was wrong."

"Wow." I laughed, stunned by her manipulation tactics, but getting up from the bed anyway. "You play dirty, Nella Lola."

"With good reason." she said sincerely, planting a quick kiss on my lips. "Thanks for doing this. I promise it will be worth it."

As I showered, I racked my brain trying to think of what was so pressing that Nella didn't want to wait for us to do it over the week we'd be spending here in Musomi. Whatever it was must have meant a whole lot to her, so I allowed myself to relax, getting ready quickly so we would in fact make it back before the game began.

***

My eyes widened as Nella pulled into reserved parking at the arena where this season's basketball playoffs where being hosted, and where the Kitalo Blazers' game would soon begin. In the distance, throngs of people here to buy last minute tickets were lined up in front of ticket booths while others bought snacks and paraphernalia at different stands, or took pictures in front of the arena's entrance.

Oh, no.

"Nella," I started, internally thinking through the best way to let her down without disappointing her too much. "I know I told you I'm okay with sitting out the season, but I can't be in that arena watching my team play while I can't. That will mess me up."