SIX, youthful promises

IN THE SUBDUED AMBIANCE of the form class, Angelique found herself seated beside Michele, an air of studious diligence prevailing

IN THE SUBDUED AMBIANCE of the form class, Angelique found herself seated beside Michele, an air of studious diligence prevailing. However, the tranquility was disrupted as Joseph, from across the room, fixed an unrelenting gaze on her and Michele. His blank expression carried an undercurrent of resentment, a silent storm brewing beneath the surface. Angelique and Michele, perceptive to the tension, endeavored to focus on Mrs. Giraud, determined to deflect Joseph's unsettling scrutiny.

As the classroom settled into a semblance of normalcy, Mrs. Giraud, with an air of pedantic authority, asked, "What are the dates of the Battle of Marne?"

Angelique, along with Felbec and Annick, promptly raised their hands. To Angelique's chagrin, Mrs. Giraud, with a seemingly biased selection, opted for Felbec, who confidently stated, "September 5th to September 12th, 1914."

Undeterred, Angelique, fueled by a thirst for participation, raised her hand again when Mrs. Giraud sought to identify the opposing armies. This time, Annick, visibly enthusiastic, was practically levitating in her seat to catch the teacher's attention.

However, Mrs. Giraud, with a dull and annoyed expression, called out, "Miss Sabiani, are you going to jump on the desk for me to see you? Don't you think you draw enough attention as it is?" Annoyance flickered in Angelique's eyes as she watched Mrs. Giraud address Annick's enthusiasm in a dismissive and condescending manner.

Undaunted, Annick answered with conviction, "The French and the Germans." Mrs. Giraud, maintaining an unimpressed demeanor, lifted her gaze and declared, "And the British Expeditionary Forces. Don't raise your hand if you only know half the answer." A hint of frustration crept into Angelique's expression, her eyes rolling subtly at Mrs. Giraud's refusal to acknowledge Annick's valid contribution.

Mrs. Giraud walked back in front of the class, clapping her hands together, "We'll talk more about the Battle of Marne tomorrow. Let's move on to naming our class leader."

Angelique perked up at the mention of class leader, but her smile faltered when she realized that there were no chances for her to be named class leader, as she was a woman. No way they would let a girl be the class leader.

"Whoever can tell me the date of the Battle of Marathon this afternoon will be named class leader." Angelique had missed half of what Mrs. Giraud said, distracting herself by staring at Joseph, precisely his eye patch. She noticed the dull and empty expression in his face and despite being annoyed by his entire being, she knew she still had love for him.

Affectionate love? Yes.

Romantic love? She was in denial if she said she didn't harbor feelings for him.

Her heart ached knowing he was not doing well and that was understandable. The poor boy had lost an eye.

There was a time where Joseph was at his happiest. His happiest was with her, Angelique.