9

An Unexpected Act.

~*~

What we commonly call fire. It is not really fire, for fire is an excess of heat and a sort of ebullition; but in reality, of what we call air, the part surrounding the earth is moist and warm, because it contains both vapour and a dry exhalation from the earth.

(Wikipedia)

~*~

"Save me from Joel." I whispered, stating more than asking.

"Yeah. But Hey, we've got time cotton candy." Alex said smiling.

I smiled at my nickname. Hair as pink as the candy floss.

"Yeah. Okay." I said. "But I have to tell Zach."

"He already knows." She said shrugging as the bell rang.

"What do you mean he already knows?" I asked confused.

"Zach and your parents know because of the council. Their in charge of your protection Mina." Alex said intently. "You are their sole purpose. Mine too. Protecting you is our mission."

I scoffed, "Mission. Really Alex?"

"It sounded better than duty." She said shrugging. "Now cotton candy. I get it's break, but I need a break. Go."

I rolled my eyes, "See you tomorrow Alex."

I grabbed my journal and Crystal's.

"Bye Cotton." She whispered as I walked out of the room.

I walked through the halls barely glancing up, only for the occasional "Let's not run into anyone". I finally reached my destination, Zach.

"How could you?" I asked once I got up to him.

"What do you mean?" He asked with a confused face.

Man. Why you go to look like a confused puppy dog, you wanker.

"You know what!" I exclaimed. "How could Yoy not tell me?"

"I don't know what you're talking about Mina!" He yelled getting upset.

"Crystal, Zach. Crystal." I whispered tears pricking my eyes. "How she died. Because of him!"

"Mina." He whispered finally realizing what I meant.

"No. Don't." I said putting my hand up.

"What's going on?" Addie asked while looking over at me with worry.

I just had the time to notice everyone, including Nate and Anna. My eyes connected with Nate's as he started intently.

"Mina?" Chrys asked worried.

I stared at Nate as I answered, "My brother never told me I had a death sentence."

Gasps filled the hall from my friends as the all looked at Zach in confusion. I still stared at Nate though, his blue eyes consuming me. His eyebrows scrunched up in confusion.

"Zach?" Addie whispered. "What's Mina talking about?"

"She's right." He said grabbing my hand.

I tried to pull it out of his grip, but it didn't budge. A tear slipped past my eye, rolling down my cheek.

"Fudge." I whispered angrily glaring at the floor.

In that moment, two things happened. First Zach explained to everyone what was happening with me. Second, Nate.

Nate happened.

He came up to me while Zach was explaining things and wiped that stray tear away. I looked up into his eyes, taking in the blue orbs. He did something I never thought he would ever do, he pulled me into a hug.

A hug I can't even describe. One full of feeling and passion. One that I couldn't help but hug him back. Then he whispered five words that changed my life for the better.

"Everything's going to be okay."

~*~

This story is going to be entered in #Wattys2015 so Please…

Vote, Comment.

For both this book and for the Wattys! 

Thank you!

Grace x