Chapter 10. Umeed

She nodded, "haan ho, lekin tum Shahnawaz ke bhi bete ho, aur kuch chizo ko ateet main chorna hi achha hai"

She said, leaving Murtasim dumbstruck.

"And you have to safeguard the legacy that has been left behind for you." She said, and placed a hand on his cheek lovingly.
____________________________________

Murtasim hmmed, and let the moment be. His mother's hand lovingly caressing him, protective about him and the power they held as a family.

She had brought him up, keeping in mind what his future held. The future Khan. His father too often only limited his interaction with him that could guide him to become the next man on the Gaddi. His childhood was lost somewhere, where everyone would treat him differently. Saw him in a different light.

But not Meerab. Every time Meerab came to the Haveli on a vacation. They fought. They would compete against each other. He would hate her for that moment. But would begin craving it when she would return to Karachi. Only time, someone wouldn't bother if he was gaddi nasheen.

And then, the Ahmed's stopped visiting them for a while. His teenage years were of rebellion. He began misusing the power he held, or the boon of good features and physicality.

His actions, and his misadventures were well known in the town.

But each time, he came closer to Meerab his heart beat faster than a McLaren. He wasn't sure what meaning to attach to that. But he knew, only he had the right to bother her, right to be with her... touch her. He wasn't ready yet to let Faiyaz steal Meerab like he always did as kids.

"Maa, I need to know what hat Nazia Chachi did"

"Beta just know that she was a nuisance when she was here, and whatever amount of time that she spent here. Was a punishment for us. Thank god she is no longer here to cause problems, good riddance"

"But what did she do?"

"She and Anwar used to have constant fights, in the end she did not leave your father also. That greedy woman has only ever cared about money"

"Money? And why did she bring in Baba?"

"Murtasim beta, just remember to never bring up Anwars Haveli ever again. It's a painful incident and that land, we have saved it from being a disputed land for a long time. Infact, it's a blessing it's in the outskirts. It doesn't concern us also. Just let it be"

"I see, if I can't ask Anwar chacha, I will find my ways around it. But I have to ask one more thing"

Maa Begum nodded. Still not wanting to let Murtasim take action on Anwars Haveli.

"Meerab has grown up with us, how can you let her get married to Faiyaz? He is Nazia Chachi's son too. What if Nazia Chachi tries to do something to Meerab?"

"How does that concern us beta? Once Meerab is married off, our responsibility will be over. And I don't like Faiyaz one bit, but he is Anwar's son. So for the world Meerab is marrying into our family. Once you also have your own children, we will have our next set of heirs and Faiyaz won't be a concern."

"What if Chacha hands over that Haveli to Faiyaz? Then Nazia chachi will also right over the Haveli, won't she?"

"Beta, Anwar is hesitating to hand over the Haveli to Faiyaz now also. And for now, the Haveli belongs to you. It's on your land."